Guidelines for Services


This guide is meant to serve as an informational source and reference regarding services available through Disability Resources (DR) for students with disabilities at the University of Kansas. Copies of this guide are available in alternative format upon request. KU has a "decentralized" system, and efforts regarding disability issues and accommodations are coordinated by DR. Each unit, department, and office on campus play a role in making the university (campus and programs) accessible. It is an individual's choice whether to self-identify, as well as if and when to use services. We primarily provide academic accommodations such as assistance in physical access to campus facilities, letters to faculty explaining suggested accommodations, extended test time, volunteer notetakers, interpreters, typists, and readers. Accessible transportation is also available for those students with temporary or permanent mobility impairments who are unable to use the standard buses.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for services?

To be eligible for services you must provide written documentation from a qualified professional on the nature of the disability. Information should include test results/report, functional effects of the disability and/or medication, and recommendations. Once received, it will be reviewed and discussed with you with respect to appropriate accommodations. These steps are necessary prior to any services.

View required documentation criteria

Who can you talk to regarding services?

Any DR staff is able to answer basic, general questions and provide general information. However, questions regarding services should be directed to the individual responsible for coordinating Disability Resources, or to the director of the DR. During the initial meeting, services and your specific academic needs will be discussed.

Contact Disability Resources

How do you receive services?

You have the right to choose what services you desire to utilize and when. Needs may change or vary from class to class. Therefore, services are provided once you, the student, make a written request. The Accommodations Request Form (ARF) needs to be completed for each class that you are requesting accommodations in.

Accommodations are individualized to your needs based on the disability documentation and the functional limitations in the classroom. Students complete the ARF with his/her DR professional staff member. Depending on the nature of the requested accommodation or accommodations that are time intensive (e.g., sign language interpreting, books in alternate format) students should request services as soon as they register for classes. Otherwise, it is recommended that you go to your class and obtain a course syllabus before scheduling an appointment.

What about non-classroom issues?

DR also works with students to identify and resolve architectural, policy, and attitudinal barriers on campus. Such issues would include curb ramps or entrance ramps, braille signage; identifying courses that satisfy graduation requirements (e.g. math, foreign language); meeting with instructors/ GTAs/departments to educate or sensitize on disability issues. We coordinate with other departments regarding their accessibility and accommodation responsibilities.Because DR has ongoing contact with students regarding needs and issues, the office has a permanent representative on various committees that determine and prioritize accessibility needs.

In addition, we give input and make recommendations regarding campus-wide equipment purchases. Since each disability group is unable to have a representative on such committees, it is the desire of DR to be prepared to voice the issues and concerns of all groups. Therefore, it is important to share concerns, thoughts, and needs with us so that they may be presented.Information about campus, local, and national resources is available in the DR office.

Next Required Disability Documentation

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).