Accessible Parking

With your state issued handicap placard or license tag, you may park on campus in any designated handicap stall or at any parking meter without paying the meter fee. There are handicap spaces adjacent to all buildings on campus, but they tend to fill up very early in the day. There are additional handicap parking spaces in both of the parking garages on campus. Parking meters can be found along Jayhawk Boulevard, Sunnyside Avenue or in lot 90 (near the Student Recreation and Fitness Center). On West Campus, there are parking meters in almost every parking lot, including Park & Ride.

Handicap placards are issued by the state of Kansas. Here is the form to fill out if you are interested in obtaining one: Download Form After a medical provider completes this form deliver it to the Douglas County Treasurer's office located at 1100 Massachusetts Street, 1st level, Lawrence, KS.

Accessible Parking On Campus for Visitors

Accessible Parking Information

If you are a visitor to KU's Lawrence campus, there are a few things that you should know about the accessible parking available to you.

In order to cut down on the number of handicap placards that are used illegally, Parking & Transit now requires that everyone who wishes to use their handicap placard to park on campus must provide proof of registration. When you arrive on campus for your visit, you should stop at one of the Information Booths where access to campus is restricted. Show the attendant your valid handicap placard, and your state-issued ID card or proof of registration. The attendant will issue you a temporary permit to use while you are on campus. This permit tells the parking enforcement officers that your handicap placard is valid.

Temporary Handicap Placards

If you need special parking for more than 6 to 8 weeks, we recommend that you talk to your doctor about obtaining a temporary handicap placard from the state.

  1. Pick up the Medical Parking Permit application packet from the Parking & Transit office, or print the forms here.
  2. Give the Physician letter to your doctor, and remind them to mail their request on your behalf directly to Parking & Transit, 1501 Irving Hill Road, Lawrence, KS 66045. They can not issue the permit without having received this letter.
  3. Complete the Certification of Medical Need for Parking form.
  4. Bring the Certification of Medical Need form and the checklist to Parking & Transit.
  5. When you turn in these forms, a Parking & Transit staff member will take time to verify the information you have provided, then go over the checklist with you to make sure you understand all of the rights and responsibilities of having a medical parking permit, along with the possible consequences of abusing the medical parking permit.
  6. Upon completion of this process, you will be issued a laminated hangtag with the correct expiration date and color zone marked on it. You must pay for your permit at this time.

Accessible seating for parent/grandparent for the commencement ceremony

Accessible parking for Memorial Stadium is on both the east and west sides of the stadium.

There is accessible seating available for the Commencement ceremony at Memorial stadium on the East and West sides of the track. You may also accompany your family members who need assistance as well. These seats usually do not fill up, but it is recommended that you arrive at the stadium at least 15 minutes early if you are concerned.

Please view this map of Memorial Stadium for specific guidelines regarding seating:

Memorial Stadium Map

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).