Frequently Asked Questions

Question: My student received accommodations in high school. What is the process for them receiving accommodations at KU, and who should I be in contact with?

Answer: Please see the Disability Resources page with further information on the KU accommodations process. Contact our office at 785.864.4064 for more information.

Question: What is the absence letter policy of the AAAC?

Answer: The Academic Achievement and Access Center provides absence notification messages when requested to do so by the student, a family member, relative, or close friend, or a KU faculty or staff member. Typically, the request is made when a student experiences a significant personal or family emergency necessitating an absence of at least 3 days.

The Academic Achievement and Access Center generally does not have written documentation of the reason(s) for the absence. A message of absence notification from the AAAC does not constitute a request for an excused absence; it is up to you as the instructor to set class policy for absences.

Faculty have the right to seek and obtain additional information directly from students; students have the right to choose self-advocacy and self-disclosure. The most reliable interactions are those directly between students and faculty.

In very rare and highly sensitive cases, the AAAC may communicate, at the request of the student, the severity and/or sensitivity of the case as clearly as possible.

Question: My student seems to be having trouble adjusting to college. Who should I talk to? What can I do?

Answer: Many students have difficulties in adjusting to life at college. Several times, students must learn how to listen at a new level, learn how to appropriately manage their time, and/or learn how to balance multiple expectations. Many students benefit from meeting with someone about time management, study skills, test-taking, or even personal issues. If you have any questions about how we can help, please feel free to contact an AAAC staff member over the phone at 785.864.4064 or via email.

If you have specific concerns (regarding financial aid, advising, housing, etc.), please refer them to this handout distributed by the Vice Provost for Student Success.

Campus Resources

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.