Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is the Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC)?

Answer: The mission of the Academic Achievement and Access Center is to help students: have full and equal access to all facilities, classes, events, and activities that the University of Kansas has to offer; engage in active and collaborative learning in and out of the classroom; and attain their academic and personal goals.

Question: How can I, as a faculty/staff, receive accommodations from the university?

Please contact Jamie Lloyd Simpson, MSE
Director of Accessibility and ADA Education
Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access (IOA)
785-864-3650 V
785-864-8069 F
711 TTY
1246 W. Campus Road, Room 135
Lawrence, KS 66045-7521

Question: A student has contacted me regarding accommodations. What is the process for this, and who should I be in contact with?

Answer: Students should approach you with a complete Accommodation Request Form. After reviewing this form, please sign it to relay that you understand and are willing to accommodate the student to the best of your ability. It is also important to keep the yellow copy of the ARF for reference throughout the semester.

If one of the accommodations checked on the form includes a note-taker, you will be provided with a note-taking packet. Please read the in-class announcement included in that packet requesting a volunteer note-taker making sure to retain the student's right to confidentiality. If the student wishes, you may have the student and the note-taker exchange notes. Otherwise, please tell the note-taker to provide you with the notes and then relay them to the student with a disability. If you have any conflicts or Question:s about this procedure, feel free to call the Accessibility Resources advisor to plan a solution.

If you are unable to accommodate a students request for extended testing time or reduced distraction rooms for testing, please tell the student that they need to fill out a Test Accommodation form in the Accessibility Resources office (22 Strong Hall) to relay information about the date and time of the test so that we can arrange accommodations in a timely manner. We will also need to obtain the test from you, the instructor, and will contact you if you do not drop the exam by our office before the exam is to occur.

In the event that a student requests certain accommodations from you without providing written support and verification through our office, you may either refer them to Accessibility Resources or accommodate the request as you see fit. Please visit the Accessibility Resources Faculty/Staff page for more detailed information regarding accommodations.

Question: Where can I refer students who are struggling academically at KU?

Answer: Students who are struggling academically should be referred directly to our office. The AAAC can provide individual consultations and/or particular accommodations for students. If students present specific concerns (regarding financial aid, advising, housing, etc.), please refer them to this handout distributed by the Vice Provost for Student Success

Campus Resources

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.