Home News Landmarks Projects Books Advisory Board Join Us! Contact Us
 

RELATED SITES

Campus Heritage Plan

Campus Landmarks

Campus Building Directory

A Campus Walking
Tour by the KU
Endacott Society

This Week in
KU History

The University
of Kansas

KU Endowment

Facilities Office/Physical Plant
Maintaining the Campus Since 1907


In 1906 the carpentry shop was still in old Fraser Hall under the registrar's office where all the University records were kept. Because fire was a constant threat, Chancellor Frank Strong requested that a separate fireproof stone or brick structure be built to house the plumbing and carpentry shops. The legislature appropriated $7500 and Buildings and Grounds erected the building that summer.

In 1926 the second story and entry were added. These and later rear additions tripled the original size of the building. The foundry is gone, but the offices and shops for painting, plumbing, carpentry, engineering, and maintenance remain. Long range plans call for the shops to be moved to west campus adjacent to other current shops.

Back  Next

Facilities Office
Location: Behind Stauffer-Flint Hall off Sunflower Road

Occupied: 1907

Architect/Contractor: E.F. Crocker, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, KU

Levels: Four

Structure: Oread limestone, squared; rear additions have concrete piers and penitentiary brick

Roof: Gray composition shingles; hip

Window surrounds: Engaged cast-iron columns; limestone lintels and lugsills

Entry: One story with hip roof; limestone segmental arch