Bruce R. Berglund
PhD, History, 1999
Bruce Berglund at Hradčany, Prague, leading a school group.
Bruce and his lovely wife, Meghan, at Lake Bohinj, Slovenia.
Bruce with friends at Gostilna Ravbar, Rodica, Slovenia (and Ravbar beer from a Czech recipe)
- Associate Professor of History at Calvin College
- I can lead a normal life in Czech, conduct research in Slovene, read billboards in Croatian, and count to three in Hungarian.
- Countries lived in:
- Czech Republic (summer 1995, 1997-98, and 2005-06), and Hungary (fall 2009)
- Favorite place:
- Lake Bohinj in Slovenia
- Coaching Little League baseball, building sandcastles on the Lake Michigan shore Favorite food: My wife's pumpkin bars with cream-cheese icing. When in Europe, I crave deep-fried potato pancakes (bramboráky), bread dumplings and goulash, and honey cake (medovník)
- Favorite drink:
- One of the famous Czech brews (Budvar, Radegast, or Krušovice), you might guess. But, in truth, I prefer the bite of a good IPA.
- Favorite book:
- Lolita (with a nod of appreciation to Professor Parker and his Nabokov course)
- What's on your iPod?:
- Čechomor, Fanfare Ciocârlia, Goran Bregović, Budapest Bár, and gipsy.cz