Why Study Ukrainian?
Ukrainian is an East Slavic language and is part of the larger Indo-European family of languages. It is spoken in Ukraine and in Ukrainian communities in neighboring Belarus, Russia, Poland, and Slovakia. It is written in a form of the Cyrillic alphabet devised in the 9th century and used by several other Slavic peoples. Students learning the Cyrillic alphabet will find it easy to learn the writing systems of many other Slavic languages.
Ukrainian is spoken by about 50 million people in Ukraine and in many other countries, including Argentina, Australia, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Canada, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Paraguay, Poland, Romania, and the U.S. While learning Ukrainian brings personal and intellectual satisfaction, Ukrainian majors have the opportunity to use their language and culture skills in a broad variety of settings in both Ukraine and the United States. Students proficient in Ukrainian can work in business as financial and policy analysts for American and Ukrainian companies. Other possible career opportunities include academia, print and broadcast media, diplomacy, and non-governmental organizations.
Ukrainian is a language with a great literary tradition. Ukrainian opens the door for the study of the history and politics of this fascinating country at the crossroads of many important developments in European history.
- UKRA104. Elementary Ukrainian I (5)
- U First sememster. Five hours per week of recitation and drill in the spoken language. Essentials of grammar, practice reading, writing and speaking Ukrainian. LEC
- UKRA108. Elementary Ukrainian II (5)
- U Second semester. Continuation of UKRA 104. Prerequisite: UKRA104. LEC
- UKRA 204. Intermediate Ukrainian I (5)
- U Second year cours in Ukrainian language with emphasis on reading, composition, and conversation. Prerequisite: UKRA 108. LEC
- UKRA 208. Intermediate Ukrainian II (3)
- U Second semester. Continuation of UKRA 204. Prerequisite UKRA 204. LEC
- UKRA 675. Readings in Ukrainian Language (1-6)
- H Directed individual readings on various topics concerning the Ukrainian language. Prerequisite: Two years of Ukrainian. IND