KU ScholarWorks

Communities and Content

What is KU ScholarWorks and how does it work?
KU ScholarWorks <http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu> is a digital repository for scholarly work created by faculty and staff at the University of Kansas. By offering a central location for depositing research or other scholarly work (including datasets, working papers, pre-publication scholarship, and published papers), KU ScholarWorks makes research available to a wider audience and helps assure its long-term preservation. KU ScholarWorks is based on DSpace, open-source software created at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology: http://www.dspace.org.

Do other universities have digital repositories?
Yes, examples include the University of California system (E-Scholarship: http://repositories.cdlib.org/escholarship/) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (DSpace@MIT: http://dspace.mit.edu). There are several hundred such repositories worldwide and the list is growing. See http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/viewcolls.html for a list of other repositories.

What is a KU ScholarWorks "Community?"
Communities are how KU ScholarWorks content is organized. A KU ScholarWorks Community is an administrative unit at KU that produces research or scholarship and can take on responsibility for setting community-level polices regarding use of KU ScholarWorks. Each community can contain one or more collections of content, or can contain sub-communities that have their own collections. Communities can also customize the KU ScholarWorks interface and submission process to meet their own particular needs. For a complete list of the current KU ScholarWorks communities and their collections, see https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/community-list.

What kinds of materials can I deposit in KU ScholarWorks?
KU ScholarWorks can handle a wide variety of content types and file formats, though different formats have different preservation implications. See our information pages on Depositing Your Work and File Formats for more details. Suggested materials for deposit include datasets, working papers, technical reports, audio and video files, and other supplementary research material that cannot generally be included in print journals, along with pre-prints and published papers, if the publisher grants permission. We have some general guidelines to help determine if a work is appropriate for KU ScholarWorks:

  • The work must be created or sponsored by KU-affiliated faculty or staff, or by KU academic or research units.
  • The work should be of a scholarly nature.
  • The work should be completed and ready for distribution.
Each KU ScholarWorks Community may set its own policies regarding the specific content and submission processes for that Community.

Who can add content to KU ScholarWorks?
KU faculty and staff, along with researchers associated with KU may deposit their scholarly work in KU ScholarWorks. A contributor must first be a member of a KU ScholarWorks community. Communities typically correspond to academic departments, research centers, or other organizational units, and each community may make its own guidelines and policies for deposit of content. For a list of all current communities, see https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/community-list. If you would like to join a community and are not sure who that community administrator is, or if you are not sure which community is most appropriate for you, please contact KU ScholarWorks staff at: kuscholarworks@ku.edu.

Can I deposit material if I do not belong to a KU ScholarWorks Community?
If you do not see your department or research center listed, please contact us. We can help you establish a community.

Who can search, browse, and download materials in KU ScholarWorks?
KU ScholarWorks is an open access repository, meaning anyone with access to the Internet and a web browser can search, view and download the content.

Can I restrict access to my work in KU ScholarWorks?
Yes, but we strongly prefer items in KU ScholarWorks to be open access. Items in KU ScholarWorks can be restricted to groups of registered users at the item, collection, or community level, with approval of the Community's administrator. Please contact us for further information: kuscholarworks@ku.edu.

What can readers do with my work? What can I do with work done by others that I find in KU ScholarWorks?
Readers may search, view, link to, and download content from KU ScholarWorks. Unless otherwise stated on the work itself or on the download page for that work, the copyright holder for each work retains all rights associated with the works deposited in KU ScholarWorks. As with any other copyrighted work, others may use the work as allowed by the "fair use" provisions in U.S. copyright law.

Can students deposit work in KU ScholarWorks?
Students cannot deposit their work directly in KU ScholarWorks, but faculty may deposit student work if it is of a scholarly nature and the Community decides that it should be included. Keep in mind, however, that students own copyright to their works, and student work may be subject to additional policies, including the FERPA act. KU ScholarWorks staff can provide some assistance in obtaining the necessary written permission of students.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).