- Who is eligible?
- Are the biomedical sciences for me?
- What are some of the activities that I will participate in as a RISE student?
- How do I select a mentor?
- Other questions?
To be eligible for participation RISE, you must...
- be a U.S. citizen or legal resident;
- be currently enrolled at Haskell Indian Nations University;
- have a 2.5 minimum GPA;
- have a strong interest in a career in research; and
- possess strong math skills or have commitment to improve.
Summer Science Academy participants will be given first priority. If you have a question about your eligibility, please contact the RISE program coordinator.
The purpose of the RISE program is to achieve greater participation of students from underrepresented groups in biomedical research. The term "bioscience" encompasses science majors that relate either directly or indirectly to human health. Examples include:
If you have an interest in these fields, or if you see yourself as a scientist, the RISE program can help you get an early start on your career path.
In order to introduce and retain American Indian students in the biomedical sciences, RISE participants...
- complete a research experience in the lab of an experienced KU faculty mentor;
- take a seminar in research methods and experimental design;
- present research at selected opportunities and national conferences;
- participate in Kansas SACNAS chapter activities;
- present at local symposia and national scientific meetings.
A mentor is a KU or KU affiliated faculty member who can provide a research lab for a RISE student. Because your mentor shapes your research experience, the program coordinator is available to help you identify potential faculty mentors that fit your research interests and career goals.
If you are a faculty member that is interested in hosting a Haskell student in your laboratory, please contact the RISE program coordinator.
For all other questions or to request more information, please contact the RISE program coordinator:
Haskell Indian Nations University
155 Indian Avenue
133 Ross Hall
Lawrence, KS 66046