Registrar A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The Office of Veterans Services

General Student Information:

Information is avaliable at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Also of note is the GI Bill: education main page.

VA Certifying Official:
Betty Colbert
Office of the University Registrar - University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd. - Room 121 Strong Hall
Lawrence KS 66045-7518
(785) 864-4423

New student:

Have you applied for eligibility (applied for VA benefits) through the VA? If not, you need to apply using form 22-1990 either on-line or by using the paper form. If you are applying for transfer of benefits for the Post 9/11 GI Bill then you must apply online using form 22-1999c.

The following forms need to be completed and returned to room 121 Strong Hall:

Transfer student:

If you have used your benefits previously (and you are not changing chapters) you need to complete the KU Veterans Information Sheet, and a Certification Worksheet .  For students using  Chapter 33/Post 9/11 benefits, you also need to complete  the Anticipated Financial Aid or Scholarship form.

If you have not yet applied for eligibility through the VA (applied for benefits) you need to apply using form 22-1990, either on-line at:  or by using the paper form.  If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.

If you are changing chapters (for example from 1606 to 1607) you need to complete a VA from 22-1995.
*Include the most recent member-4 copy of your DD214 with the VA form 22-1995.

Returning students:

If you have not been enrolled for at least one semester you need to complete at new KU veterans information sheet.

Students who have been continuously enrolled, need to submit a VA Certification Worksheets each semester they wish to have their enrollment certified to the VA. If you use Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits, you will also need to complete the Anticipated Financial Aid or Scholarship form.

Guest students:

Have the VA certifying official at the school where you are seeking a degree send the KU VA certifying official a Parent School letter so that your enrollment at KU can be certified to the VA. Guest students also will need to fill out and return the KU veterans information sheet. If you are using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits, you will also need to provide the Anticipated Financial Aid or Scholarship form.


All students who receive VA benefits (except for Chapter 31 benefit recipients) are eligible to automatically have a deferment for tuition and campus fees placed on their accounts. In order for a deferment to be placed on your account you must complete the Enrollment Certification Worksheet every semester and turn it in to the VA Certifying Official. We will then certify your enrollment to the VA and apply the deferment to your account. The deferment will allow your tuition and campus fees to be paid in thirds for the Spring and Fall semesters and in half for the Summer term.

The payment schedule is listed below:

Term First Installment Due Second Installment Due Third Installment Due
Spring Semester 03/15 04/15 05/15
Summer Semester 07/15 08/15 N/A
Fall Semester 10/15 11/15 12/15

*You are under no obligation to use the deferment and you may pay your tuition and campus fees in full at any time.

The tuition and campus fees deferment is a privilege not a right. Please note the following information:

You agree to pay the amount of each installment by the tuition due date established by the University.

You have been approved for a deferment of tuition and campus fees. If you change your schedule or if your enrollment status changes, it may require reassessment of tuition and campus fees which may change the amount that must be paid for each installment.

You must pay in person at the cashier's office no later than 4:00 p.m. on the due date of each installment or online at the KU Bursar's Website.

You must notify the Office of Veteran's Affairs (121 Strong Hall, 785-864-5455) if your VA benefit check does not arrive by the second installment date.

The consequences of NOT paying on time are:

  1. Holds will be placed on future enrollment and transcript requests.
  2. Loss of the installment payment privilege for all future terms.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).