Registrar A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

One Stop Withdrawal

For Students Called to Active Military Duty

This is to provide basic information to students who pay fees for a term and are subsequently called to active duty after classes start (this does not include enlistments).

Contact the VA Certifying Official:

Betty Colbert
Office of the University Registrar - University of Kansas
1450 Jayhawk Blvd. - Room 121 Strong Hall
Lawrence KS 66045-7535
(785) 864-4423

If Betty Colbert is not available ask for Joan Hahn or Marla Herron.

You need to bring or send:

A copy of your military orders when they have been served
Forwarding Address(es)
Name, address and phone number of a contact or your representative
Your name as it is on the KU records
KU ID number
You will need to fill out an Active Military Duty Request to Withdraw Form.

Money & fees:

A 100% adjustment in tuition and fee will be made for withdrawn classes. Partial refunds will be given when it is appropriate to award credit for some classes and not others. The Registrar's Office will contact offices (if requested) to arrange refunds for optional fees (e.g., bus pass, career planning service, etc.)

Note: Refunds will not be immediately available. Refund checks will be sent to your forwarding address or that of your designated contact or representative.


The cancellation deadlines for your school will be used to determine whether the courses are cancelled or a W is recorded on your transcript. These dates can be found in the Enrollment Guide.

There will be no record of the reason for your cancellation or withdrawal. You will be able to document the date of your service via military records.

Grading/Incompletes: These are decisions made by the faculty on the basis of the work done-to-date and the rules governing the course. At your request, we will ask the Academic Achievement and Access Department to notify your instructors of your military status and that you will be contacting them by phone or e-mail about the possibility of a grade or an incomplete in the course.


Student Housing will be contacted and informed of your intent to exit the University. Depending on individual circumstances, it is possible to arrange for a delayed check-out from your residence hall.

Financial Aid:

The Office of Student Financial Aid will be informed of your student status and will make adjustments according to their guidelines.

Other issues:

The Office of the University Registrar will make other contacts as requested on the Active Military Duty request to Withdraw form to assist in a quick exit from KU.


Contact Betty Colbert, the VA Certifying official, when you are ready to return to KU. We will assist you with this process in any way we can. For general information, go to

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).