Registrar A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Visiting Students

Visiting students can be high school students, post baccalaureate students, senior citizens, or other individuals taking classes at the University of Kansas for their own enjoyment and not for the attainment of a degree. You can visit at either the undergraduate or graduate level, but you must be non-degree seeking and take classes numbered under 800. If you enroll as a visitor the university will issue a grade of "NE" or "Not Evaluated" for all courses you take that semester. A grade of "NE" signifies the inability of those courses to be used towards a degree or to be transferred to another university.

Visiting Student Information

Step 1: Be admitted (Undergraduate Level: Contact the Office of Admissions and Scholarships; Graduate Level: see the graduate admission website)

  • A student who has previously been enrolled as a degree-seeking student at KU may not enroll as a non-degree seeking student until completion of an undergraduate degree.
  • High school students who wish to enroll must provide a written approval from a parent/guardian and their respective high school principal or counselor.
  • There is an application fee required - see the respective admissions websites for details.
  • The University reserves the right to deny admission.
Step 2: Prepare to Enroll.
  • Enrollment for students admitted as "OURU" is limited to 6 credit hours. If you already have a degree you will be admitted to another school as a special student. You will be limited to the number of hours designated by the school to which you are admitted.
  • Many classes will be full so be prepared to choose alternatives.
  • University requirements such as instructor and departmental permission are applicable. Look for restricted entry courses marked with "Instructor Consent Required" or "Departmental Consent Required". (example)
  • Visiting student enrollees are not permitted to take courses in Arts, Business, Education, Engineering, Journalism, Music, Nursing, Pharmacy, or Social Welfare without permission from the school or department.
Step 3: Enroll Step 4: Submit Waiver Requests
  • If you are enrolling in visitor status, you may request a waiver of the Lawrence Campus fees. To do so, complete a visitor form and submit it by the deadline (see the academic calendar).
  • If you are sixty years old or older you may also request a waiver of tuition. Instead of the visitors form, please complete the senior rates form and submit it by the deadline (see the academic calendar). This form requests both waivers.

NOTE: Waiver of campus fees is limited to ONLY Lawrence Campus fees. Other campuses/area fees are not waived. Contact our office with questions.

WARNING: Enrolling in visitor status results in grades of "NE" or "Not Evaluated" for all classes in that semester. This will not count towards degrees at KU and are generally not transferable to other institutions. If you are considering transferring these credits, discuss your situation with your home institution to determining if visiting status at KU is appropriate.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).