Registrar A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Degree and Major Information


Diplomas will not be provided for students with financial and other obligations to the University. Degrees are awarded three times a year to undergraduate and law students who have met all requirements by the last day of final examinations for each of the three terms: fall semester, spring semester and summer session.

Degrees are awarded three times a year, May, August and December, to graduate students who have met all the requirements as of the date specified by the Graduate School and published in the Graduate Catalog.

Minor and Co-Majors

Prior to the normal semester deadline for filing graduation paper work (Fall-December 1, Spring-April 15, Summer-July 15), any student planning to complete a minor only or a co-major only through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) should come to the College Student Academic Services Office in 109 Strong Hall and complete the following paper work:

  1. An application for degree form, indicating at the top of the form "minor only" or "co-major only".
  2. A Minor Certification Sheet for minors, or a Major Certification Sheet for co-majors.
    NOTE: this form must be signed by your faculty advisor in the appropriate department, so students should allow enough time to complete this step prior to the above deadlines.

Student Levels

Undergraduate Student Levels are defined by hours:

Freshmen 0-29 hours
Sophomore 30-59 hours
Junior 60-89 hours
Senior 90 hours and up

Grade Point Average (G.P.A.)

The G.P.A. is a quotient determined by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted and graded A, B, C, D and F. The G.P.A., which will appear on the student's official transcript, will reflect only course work taken in residence at the University of Kansas. This G.P.A. will exclude course work transferred from other institutions, generally undergraduate course work taken in KU's Continuing Education Independent Study program, academic credits earned by examination and course work taken while classified as a non-degree seeking student. Individual schools (e.g., School of Social Welfare, Business, Education, etc.) may calculate G.P.A. for admission or advancement differently. Please consult with those schools for more information.

Grading System

Undergraduates should refer to the University Senate Rules and Regulations and the Undergraduate Catalog. Graduate Students should see the Graduate School Catalog. Law Students should refer to the Law School Catalog. Medical Students should refer to Guidelines for Medical Student Evaluation.

Graduate Credit

Three conditions must be met for a student to receive graduate credit for work satisfactorily completed at the University of Kansas:

  1. The course must have been approved by the appropriate Graduate Division for the award of graduate credit.
  2. The instructor must have gained appointment to the Graduate Faculty.
  3. The student must have gained admission to the Graduate School.

An exception to the condition above is that seniors who will complete the requirements for a baccalaureate degree in a given semester, and who have very strong academic records, may apply for contingent admission to the Graduate School and request permission of the appropriate graduate division (CLAS students see below) to co-enroll in the Graduate School for that final semester. Seniors requesting the privilege of co-enrollment must make formal application for admission to the Graduate School through the appropriate division. The student must get the course selection form dean stamped by the undergraduate division and a completed Special Permission/Approval form from the graduate division office for each graduate-credit course in which the student seeks to be enrolled.

The student must enroll for the graduate courses within their provisional graduate career and their undergraduate courses within their undergraduate career.

CLAS Students: CLAS Undergraduate Services and the Graduate School grant approval, rather than the graduate division.

Posthumous Award of Degrees

See the policy regarding Posthumous Degrees located in the KU Policy Library.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).