Person-Specific Data Requests

Offices or individuals requesting person-specific data may find the following information helpful.

Resources for Collecting Data at KU

Many resources can assist in the research process. Below are a few common resources for researchers interested in collecting information about students, faculty, and staff at KU.

Many projects require only summary data (i.e., total numbers or percentages). Commonly requested statistical information (e.g., enrollments, degrees awarded, faculty counts, and tuition figures) is available in the University of Kansas Profiles.

In accordance with current Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) guidelines, summary reports with cells representing fewer than ten (10) individuals may be masked to ensure privacy.

Collecting Survey Data on Current Students, Faculty and Staff

Requests for person-specific data are commonly made by researchers planning to survey current students, faculty, and/or staff.

Researchers interested in contacting current students or employees via email may be able to use an existing Exchange distribution list or a listserv. The links provided outline options and permissions for using a distribution list or listserv in an appropriate manner.

If a distribution list or listserv is not available, requests for person-specific data, including email addresses, can be made by completing the forms listed below:

  • Currently enrolled KU students:The Office of the University Registrar can provide researchers with names, levels, majors, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of currently enrolled students.
  • Current faculty and staff: The Office of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity can provide researchers with directory-level information on current faculty and staff.

Getting Approval to Conduct Research at KU

Research involving the collection of information from or about human subjects or that otherwise requires the use of personally identifiable information to contact students, faculty or staff, must be approved by the Human Subject Committee of Lawrence (HSCL). Information about the HSCL approval process can be found at the following locations:

Individuals conducting email surveys also need approval from the Office of the Provost.

Researchers requesting person-specific data should review the University of Kansas Student Records Policy, which defines and outlines the disclosure of directory information and personally identifiable information as well as their use for legitimate educational interests.

Requesting Data from OIRP

Please contact OIRP ( about conducting research that is not addressed above.

July 08, 2010