Kansas Regional Transit Pilot Program Support Materials
A set of resources including general reports, fact sheets, white papers, and videos are available with information to support the development of Regional Transit Pilots in Kansas.
- Improving Rural Transportation with Regional Cooperation (KUTC, August 2009) Models for regional coordination are defined and described. Tools for coordination such as mobility management, technology and marketing.
- Regional Coordination Increases Options (KUTC, August 2009) A case study of the Mid Iowa Development Association Council of Governments (MIDAS). MIDAS case study features 1-Call Central Dispatch, Demand Response, Fixed Route Service, Route Deviation - Pick Up, Commuting, Vanpool Program and Intercity Feeder Busing for 6-county area with 102,000 population total.
- Mobility Management Video A video that describes mobility management and its importance as a tool in rural regional coordination. Produced by John Elias at the KU Transportation Center.
- Regional Transit Coordination Video A video on essential elements of Regional Transit Coordination: organizational models, tools such as technology that improves coordination, and benefits to the community.
- Regional Zonal Analysis for Pilot Areas Using the four pilot cities for this analysis¡ªGarden City, Hays, Hutchinson, and Salina, a series of maps depicting aggregate trip attractions within each zone and significant locations between zones are included in this document.All maps include a roadway flow overlay of Journey©\to©\Work county©\level data that is calculated from the centroid of each county.
- Kansas Regional Transit Pilot Study - Flint Hills Using the Fort Riley pilot area for review in the Kansas Regional Transit Pilot Study, this document is organized to include: a zonal analysis of trade activity in Fort Riley, an interaction analysis that examines competition with other pilot cities, a Journey-to-Work traffic flow analysis, and a net daily migration analysis. All demographic data were acquired from 2007 estimates that were derived using PCensus software. For variables where 2007 estimates were not available, such as persons with disabilities, projections were made using 2-year rates of change that were generated from 1990 and 2000 U.S. Census data. In addition, Journey-to-Work data were acquired from the 2000 U.S. Census.
- Governance Models for Regional Transit Coordination A white paper describing a variety of governance models associated with regional transit. This paper, developed at the Kansas University Transportation Center, describes potential models, Kansas state statutes related to transit governance, and a number of case studies to illustrate the described governance models.
- The Economic Impact of Public Transportation in Rural Kansas As Kansas communities focus on strategies to create an economic environment to attract and maintain jobs, it is critical that communities work together to plan regional transit services that get individuals where they need to go. Regional transit creates opportunities for rural residents to find work or employees in neighboring communities, obtain specialized health services when necessary and to live independently as they age. This fact sheet explores the economic impact of regionalized, coordinated transit services.
2015 Kansas RTAP Training Calendar At-A-Glance
A calendar for 2015 Kansas RTAP training classes has been developed and is available here. Additional hands-on classes such as "Advanced Mobility Securement" and "Evacuation Techniques for Rural Transit Passengers" can be scheduled on demand. If you would like to host a class on one of these topics, please contact Anne Lowder at 785-864-1469 or email@example.com
BraunAbility Lift Maintenance Training Resources
BraunAbility staff were in Kansas in February to offer lift maintenance training on their equipment. The Braunability Training Powerpoint Slides for that training is now available, along with a copy of their Braunability Troubleshooting Guide. See Resources to Download for a copy of the Guide
Charter Service Final Rule Fact Sheet
FTA published a final rule for charter service with an effective date of April 30, 2008. This one-page fact sheet provides a summary of the features of the revised charter regulations.
Diabetes and the Transit Driver
A link to a list of helpful sites on the Kansas RTAP website that answer questions about diabetes and transit drivers. To read about Diabetes and the Transit Driver,
Kansas Regional Transit Pilot Program Planning
A set of resources including fact sheets, white papers, and videos to support the development of Regional Transit Systems in Kansas, beginning in 2009. Scroll to the section labeled "Kansas Regional Tranit Pilot Program Planning."
Kansas Rural Transit Management 101 Handbook
A one-day orientation and update to the Kansas Rural Transit Program was provided as a pre-conference session to the 2010 Kansas Public Transit Association Meeting in Hutchinson, Kansas. This document is the handbook that was distributed at this meeting covering selected topics on the rural transit program.
Coordinating Rural Transit Requires Thinking Outside the Box
Kansas rural regional transit pilots have developed a road map for coordinating transit in rural areas. This fact sheet originally published in the July 2010 edition of the Kansas Trans Reporter details a process that other communities might follow.
Sample Transit Policies and Procedures
A template for a set of transit policies and procedures. Provided by Dave Cyra, United We Ride Ambassador, Community Transportation Association of America, 2010.