Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21) Program
The STA-21 program was designed to provide enlisted sailors a top-notch college education and a commission. There are programs which lead to a commission in the unrestricted line as well as many of the restricted lines.
While there are many Universities you can attend under the STA-21 Program, the University of Kansas offers some distinct advantages:
- Tuition rates fall within the $10,000 a year limit of the STA-21 Program.
- You will qualify for in-state tuition.
- Our small unit size allows for individual attention.
- You are immediately placed in leadership roles and provide much-needed enlisted insight.
- Families live in safe communities and attend excellent schools.
- Lawrence enjoys a low cost of living while maintaining a high standard of living.
Participants in the STA-21 program will:
- Receive Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted, as long as payment is for different courses and not combined to pay for the same course.
- Receive full pay and allowances including BAH and BAS for their enlisted pay grades
- Be eligible for enlisted advancement
- Receive up to $10,000 per year, paid to the university to supplement the costs of tuition, fees, and books.
- Upon successful degree completion, be commissioned as active duty Ensigns in the United States Navy (USN).