KU's Public Management Center announces new graduates of Emerging Leaders Academy
TOPEKA — The University of Kansas Public Management Center has announced its latest class of graduates of the Emerging Leaders Academy.
The graduation ceremony was June 27 at the KU Adams Alumni Center. The 36 graduates, who began their course in February, include staff from local, county, state and federal agencies from across Kansas as well as from KU. There were two cohorts who participated in classes held in Lenexa or Topeka.
Offered through KU’s Public Management Center, ELA is a succession planning program targeted to promising, non-managerial staff to help them prepare for leadership roles in their departments and agencies. Participants meet together 10 times over four months, with classes designed to help them hone their skills for positions of increasing responsibility while also growing their effectiveness in their current roles.
“Many public agencies are offering incentive programs to encourage staff with long tenure and higher salaries to retire. The challenge comes in making sure there’s a skilled, prepared talent pool ready to take on leadership roles," said Charles Jones, director of the PMC.
Noel Rasor, assistant director of the PMC and program manager for the academy, says the ELA curriculum is designed to strengthen participants' performance in their current roles while helping them prepare for future roles.
“We support participants through a mentor-shadowing assignment and preparation of a professional portfolio. These projects, together with our in-depth exploration of the StrengthsFinder assessment, are cited by our graduates as crucial to their learning about themselves and how to achieve their goals," she says.
The ELA will be offered again starting in late September 2012 with location options in Topeka and in the Kansas City area. The standard program fee is $1,150; the KU staff rate is $875. The cost covers all training days and materials. The PMC can work with departments on payment arrangements if necessary.
For more information or to apply, visit the ELA website or contact Noel Rasor at (913) 897-8460 or by email.
A list of the graduates:
- Colleen Abraham, Johnson County District Attorney's Office, Olathe.
- Joshua Bemiss, Kansas Soldiers' Home - Kansas Commission on Veterans' Affairs, Fort Dodge.
- Douglas Bergstrom, Spencer Museum of Art, Lawrence.
- Adam Browne, Unified Government Wyandotte Co. / Kansas City, Kan., Kansas City.
- Dawnishia Canady, Department of Veterans Affairs - Health Resource Center, Topeka.
- Amy Carlson, Higuchi Biosciences Center, University of Kansas, Lawrence.
- Shakeva Christian, Unified Government Wyandotte Co. / Kansas City, Kan.
- Carla Crowder, City of Topeka.
- Timothy Driggs, Adjutant General's Department, Topeka.
- Shauna Fearnow, Office of the State Treasurer, Topeka.
- Pam Fortun, City of Overland Park.
- Anafe Hall, Office of the State Treasurer, Topeka.
- Amanda Halstead, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 7, Kansas City.
- Adam Heffley, Lawrence Police Department, Lawrence.
- Michelle Laska, Johnson County Human Resources, Olathe.
- Andrea Lemuz-Glur, Johnson County Government, Olathe.
- Ryan Lockamy, Unified Government Wyandotte Co. / Kansas City, Kan., Adult Community Corrections, Kansas City.
- Donna Luehrman, University of Kansas Information Technology, Lawrence.
- Charles Love, City of Overland Park.
- Kim Mason, Board of Indigents' Defense Services, Topeka.
- Nicole Moran, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 7, Kansas City.
- Lori O'Neal, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City.
- L. Tod Paske, Olathe Police Department, Olathe.
- Sharon Reed, Unified Government Wyandotte Co. / Kansas City, Kan., Kansas City.
- Sharon Riley, University of Kansas Libraries - Human Resources, Lawrence.
- Kevin Scarrow, Kansas National Education Association, Topeka.
- Todd Seay, Lenexa Police Department, Lenexa.
- Lynn Smith, Safe Streets Topeka / Shawnee County, Topeka.
- Suzanne Smith, Johnson County Med-Act, Olathe.
- Karen Sorensen, Johnson County Wastewater, Olathe.
- Ryan Straley, Olathe Fire Department, Olathe.
- Leslie Stumpff, Unified Government Wyandotte Co. and Kansas City, Kan., Community Corrections, Kansas City.
- Gerald Swingle, Johnson County AIMS, Olathe.
- Brian Tucker, Wyandotte County Sheriff's Department, Kansas City.
- Susan Wempe, Shawnee County Sheriff's Office, Topeka.
- John Williams, Olathe Police Department, Olathe.