KU core campus to be closed Saturday for Tour of Lawrence race
LAWRENCE — As in past years, the KU core campus will be closed to motor traffic on Saturday, June 30, to host the annual Tour of Lawrence bicycle circuit races. Course setup starts at 6 a.m., with the races beginning at 8:30 a.m. and ending at approximately 6 p.m. The campus will reopen at 8:30 p.m. A map of the route is available at http://touroflawrence.com/maps.php.
Parking along Jayhawk Boulevard, Memorial Drive, Mississippi Street, Sunnyside Drive and Sunflower Road and other streets on the race route will be pre-empted beginning at 3 a.m. on June 30, and any remaining vehicles will be towed. Also, several parking lots on the route will be closed. A complete list of the affected streets and lots appears below, as do some suggestions for parking in the event that you need to come to campus or want to watch the races.
The KU Public Safety Office will have officers posted at 15th and Naismith; 11th and Fambrough; and the Sunnyside and Sunflower intersection. If you cannot access your office/building due to the race, you can go to one of the locations where officers are posted, and someone from Race Operations will meet you and help you get to your destination.
Pre-empted streets and lots:
- Lot 53 (Mississippi Street)
- Kansas Union Parking garage Mississippi side (entry and exit only available on Oread side during race )
- Lot 91 (Spencer Art Museum)
- Lot 94 (east side of Memorial Stadium)
- Lots 36 and 39 ( Memorial Drive)
- Lot 11 (north of JRP)
- Lot 8 (Sunnyside Drive)
- Lot 35 (ROTC building)
- Lot 17 (small lot north of Summerfield)
- Lot 22 ( East side of Murphy Hall)
- Lot 37 ( Lot between Malott and Haworth)
- Lot 34 (Computer Center)
- Lots 61 and 62 (lot south of Hall Center)
- Lot 38 (Hall Center)
- Lot 10 Two sections ( one section on Sunflower Road and second section right behind Watson)
- Lot 18 ( south side of Wescoe)
- Lot 4 (Jayhawk Boulevard)
- Lot 3 (north side of Strong Hall)
Suggestions for parking:
- Lot 90 (big lot just east of Allen Fieldhouse)
- West side of the stadium ( lots 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 65) can be accessed by meeting with a KU Public Safety officer at the corner of Fambrough and Maine. Once race traffic clears, the officer will help move traffic to and from these lots.
- Allen Fieldhouse garage (accessed off of Irving Hill Road) and Kansas Union garage (accessed on the Oread entry and exit). Please note that there is a $1.25 hourly fee for use of the garages. Other parking possibilities are shown on the map at the link above.