- Use the "buddy" system and walk with a friend or friends
- When possible walk in lighted areas and on established paths. Shortcuts through fields and alleys may not be safe
- Know the locations of the emergency phones on campus
Utilize the safety programs that are offered to you as a student:
- Safe Ride (785-864-7233) is a service available to KU students during the school year that provides safe rides home from anywhere in Lawrence between the hours of 11p.m. and 2:30 a.m. Expect to wait about 20 minutes on average for Safe Ride. This program can be utilized by a student for any reason, not just if you are intoxicated.
- Safe Bus (785-864-7233) is a bus service available to KU students. Safe Bus operates Fridays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. while school is in session. Six accessible buses will be covering three separate routes; with two buses on each route.
- Look around your car when walking toward it. If you see anyone in the area of your car, don't go to it. Check your car before getting inside to be certain no one is hiding inside. Also be sure to lock your car. This will help protect your valuables and keep someone from getting inside.
- To prevent anyone from getting in your car while stopped in traffic or at intersections, keep your doors locked at all times. Be alert and keep looking around when using ATM's and pay phones.
- Carry your purse or backpack close to your body and grip it tight. If you are mugged, give them what they want and walk away.
- If someone makes you feel uncomfortable or the situation doesn't seem right, trust your instincts and leave.
- Have your house key or car key in your hand when going to your residence or car. This reduces the time you are standing at the locked door searching for keys.
- If you need to park in a remote parking lot, stop by your hall and pick up a friend so you can walk back together
The Public Safety Office has pamphlets on various topics dealing with safety issues available at our office and also available to download.
For more information on Safety at KU, visit www.ku.edu/safety.