Groundsite Image Gallery
Common keywords and phrases
|Back to Index View on Map|
|Title: Pinckney School|
Artist: Hughes, Langston
Pinckney School, 801 West Sixth St (1872)
E.S. Tucker took this photography of the old Pinckney School building in about 1895. It stood in the front yard of the present building. This school was built in 1872. In 1908 four rooms were added, so Langston Hughes attended school in a larger building. During Hughes’s time there was no electricity.
Hughes began second grade here in 1909 and completed third grade before transferring to integrated New York School for the rest of the elementary grades. At Pinckney, African American students had a separate classroom and teacher, Mrs. Mary Dillard. She must have made an impression on the young Hughes, as he maintained contact with her as an adult.