Groundsite Image Gallery
Common keywords and phrases
|Back to Index View on Map|
Lawrence National Bank
|Title: Lawrence National Bank|
Artist: Hughes, Langston
Lawrence National Bank, Seventh St. and Massachusetts St., demolished.
This photograph by E.S. Tucker shows Lawrence National Bank in about 1895. The bank once stood at Seventh. St. and Massachusetts. The bank building was also the meeting place for commerce clubs. The first town library was housed in this building.
A contract signed by Langston Hughes’s grandmother Mary S. Langston mortgaged the Langston property of 726 Alabama St. (Block 12, south half of Lot 7) to the Lawrence National Bank. The mortgage is dated 28 Feb. 1895. Alfred Whitman notarized it, and James Brooks was the register of deeds.
A.N. Fuller was the bank representative on the mortgage, even though city directories do not identify him as a banker. The 1893-94 and 1896 city directories list A.N. Fuller as a resident. In 1893-94, he is listed as a “dealer in minerals,” residing on Henry St. He does not appear in the 1898 directory. In 1905, an Arthur N. Fuller resided between Winthrop and Warren Streets, with no occupation listed.