What if I can’t open a file that my instructor has uploaded to Blackboard?
- Be sure you are using the correct program or plug-in installed on your computer to open or view the file. Contact your instructor if in doubt.
- Ask the instructor to save and upload the file using a different format.
- Instead of clicking the link and trying to open the file remotely, you might try right-clicking on the link to save the file to your local machine first, and then open it from your computer.
- If you receive a “404 file not found” error, something may be wrong with the file. Before you contact your instructor, please read this:
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 and cannot access a page in Blackboard, please clear the cache (see instructions below), restart your computer and when accessing Blackboard again, please click the ‘No’ button when you receive this message. Alternatively, try using the Firefox browser to access Blackboard.
Clearing cache in IE8.
In the Internet Explorer 8 browser.
1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. Under Browsing history, click Delete.
2. Select the check box next to Preserve Favorites website data.
3. Select the check box next to Temporary Internet Files.
4. Select the check box next to Cookies.
5. Select the check box next to History.
6. Select the check box next to Form data.
7. Select the check box next to InPrivate Filtering data.
8. At the bottom of window, click Delete.
9. Internet Explorer, start Internet Explorer again, and then try to access the Web page.
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 and if you see this message (see image above), please click the ‘NO’ button.
- Restart your computer, then, try accessing the file again