Linguistic Atlas of Kansas German Dialects
KU researchers use these sentences as an easier alternative to the Wenker sentences.
- The four seasons: spring, summer, fall, winter
- The days of the week: Sunday - Saturday
- The numbers from 1 - 10
- Mother, father, brother, sister
- That woman is a relative of mine.
- I have a headache.
- A girl and a boy; 2 girls and 2 boys
- That was my neighbor's barn.
- I like little red apples.
- If I were rich, I would buy a new house.
- If only I had told the truth.
- Horse, goat, lightning bug
- Put the milk on the table.
- This year
- Noodles, dumplings, potatoes, cucumbers, sweet cream, watermelon, pepper
- The children cried all night long.
- That skunk stinks really bad.
- He's going into town./ He lives in town.
- We did the right thing.
- Give me the book!
- I am hungry and thirsty.
- I'm getting older every day.
- The burial is tomorrow, right?
- They speak German differently than we do.
Last updated August 20, 2009