All schools & programs >

School of Music

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top


The school defines excessive absence as absence in excess of the number of credit hours in the course. A student with excessive absences may be withdrawn from the course by the dean.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Admission is competitive. Students must have minimum grade-point averages of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from any college or university including KU. Music admission is contingent upon a successful audition. Change-of-school applicants must meet the same requirements as transfer applicants.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class graduate with distinction. The upper third of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction. The list is compiled each spring and includes July, December, and May graduates.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.6 who have completed at least 12 hours with letter grades are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top


The letters W and I may be given. The letter I indicates incomplete work that may be completed without re-enrollment in the course. The letter W indicates withdrawal for which no credit or grade point is assigned.

The letter I should not be used when a definite grade can be assigned for the work done. It is not given for any course except to indicate that some part of the work has, for reasons beyond the student’s control, not been done, while the rest has been satisfactorily completed. At the time an I is reported on the electronic roster, the character and amount of work needed, as well as the date required for completion and lapse grade if further work is not completed by this date, should be indicated.

A student who has an I posted for a course must make up the work by the date determined by the instructor, in consultation with the student, which may not exceed 1 calendar year, or the last day of the term of graduation, whichever comes first. An I not removed according to this rule is automatically converted to a grade of F or U, or the lapse grade assigned by the course instructor, and appears on the student’s record.

Extensions to the time limit may be granted by the dean’s representative upon submission of a petition from the student containing the endorsement of the course instructor who assigned the I grade, or the department chair if the instructor is unavailable. After the I grade is converted to a grade of F or U, the grade may only be changed in accordance with USRR Article II, Section 3.

The office of the dean may grant extensions to the time limit if the student submits a written request endorsed by the instructor.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum and Minimum Semester Enrollment

The normal maximum enrollment is 21 hours during fall or spring semesters or 9 hours during the summer session. Students may exceed the normal maximum enrollment only with the permission of the dean.

Go to the top of the page top


Students may be dismissed at any time by the dean for excessive absences or for failure to make satisfactory progress in their studies.

A student not on probation who fails to earn a grade-point average of at least 2.0 in any semester is placed on probation for the following semester.

At the end of the semester in which the student has been on probation, he or she is removed from probation if the grade-point average for the semester is at least 2.0, with a minimum course load of 12 hours and a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0. A student whose course load is fewer than 12 hours or whose cumulative grade-point average is below 2.0 continues on probation even if the semester grade-point average is 2.0 or above.

At the end of the semester in which the student has been on probation, he or she is dismissed for poor scholarship if the grade-point average for the semester is below 2.0.

A student who has been dismissed for poor scholarship is not eligible to enroll again at any time, except with the special permission of the chair of the department. A reinstated student is placed on final probation. If the student fails to achieve a minimum grade-point average of 2.0 for the semester, he or she is dismissed, and readmission is not granted.

Students who take courses at other institutions during the suspension may receive credit for such work only if it meets the approval of the department in which the student is doing major work.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

6 of the final 30 hours may be taken for nonresident credit, with advance permission. Nonresident credit may fill only elective requirements not in the major field of study.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Only grades of C or higher are accepted as transfer credit toward degrees.


Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.