All schools & programs >

School of Education

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top


A student with excessive absences may be withdrawn from the course by the dean.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Students are admitted to Curriculum and Instruction and Health, Sport, and Exercise Sciences teaching programs once a year; applications are due February 1 for fall semester. Students are admitted to the HSES athletic training program once a year; applications are due May 1 for fall semester. Students are admitted to HSES sport science and community health programs twice a year; applications are due February 1 for fall and September 15 for spring semester. Consult the School of Education Welcome Center, 208 J.R. Pearson Hall, 785-864-3726, for information.

Go to the top of the page top

Course Substitutions

Course substitutions in any program may require approval of the adviser, department, and associate dean. In addition, some requests must be approved by the school curriculum committee. Approval requires submission of a written petition initiated by the student and approved by the adviser. The associate dean communicates the action taken to the adviser and the student. A copy is placed in the student’s file.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Students planning to enter education programs who are not formally admitted to the school are strongly discouraged from taking any course required for graduation for Credit/No Credit.

Any course not required for graduation and up to 6 hours of courses required for graduation may be taken for Credit/No Credit. No more than 6 hours of courses required for graduation may be taken for Credit/No Credit.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class graduate with distinction. The upper third of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction. Grade-point averages are based on total credits (KU and transfer credit). To be considered for distinction, students must have completed a minimum of 75 hours at KU. The list is compiled each spring and includes July, December, and May graduates.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.75 who have completed at least 12 hours with letter grades are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum and Minimum Semester Enrollment

A 12-hour enrollment is a minimum full-time enrollment. Enrollment for more than 19 hours during fall or spring semesters or more than 9 hours during the summer session requires special permission from the associate dean and is not considered unless the student has demonstrated academic ability and has the adviser’s approval.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum Community College Credit Allowed

Students must complete at least 62 hours of credit from KU (or other senior-level institutions) to be eligible to graduate.

Go to the top of the page top


Placed on Probation

Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.5. Students whose cumulative grade-point averages are below 2.5 at the end of any semester are placed on academic probation.


If at the end of the following semester (spring or fall) the cumulative grade-point average is not 2.5 or above, the student is dismissed from the school. Those students are dropped from all courses for the next semester and required to complete a Change of School form to enroll. They are not allowed to enroll in any courses restricted to School of Education students until they are reinstated. Students admitted provisionally who don’t fulfill specified criteria for admission revert to the school in which they were previously enrolled. In these cases, only courses restricted for School of Education students are dropped from the student’s schedule.

Readmission after Dismissal

Programs are subject to change. Within 1 year of dismissal, if the cumulative grade-point average is at least 2.5, students are readmitted to the program to which they had been admitted. After 1 year, students who wish to follow the program to which they had been admitted must submit a petition to the associate dean. If the petition is denied, students must follow the current program (if different from the one to which they had been admitted).

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

To be eligible for the B.S.E. degree, a student must complete at least 30 hours at KU and at least 30 hours after being admitted to the school. Up to 6 hours of work done at another institution may be accepted as part of the last 30 hours. Before enrolling in a nonresident course, the student should complete a Request for Tentative Evaluation of Credit in 208 J.R. Pearson Hall. After completing the course, the student must request that an official transcript be sent to KU.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Courses completed at other institutions are accepted to fulfill graduation requirements (e.g., in place of specifically prescribed courses), only if they are substantially equivalent as indicated by course description. At least 62 hours must be completed at an upper-division institution.


Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.