All schools & programs >

School of Pharmacy

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top

Academic Forgiveness

The school does not participate in academic forgiveness.

Go to the top of the page top

Academic Misconduct

Students experiencing difficulties or problems with a particular course or having complaints or grievances about a particular instructor are urged to discuss the problem in a timely fashion with the instructor. If the student feels awkward or uncomfortable doing this, he or she should see the chair of the instructor’s department, or if necessary, the dean. The chair or dean brings the matter to the instructor’s attention, preserving the student’s anonymity, if so requested.

Instructors detecting academic misconduct must act in accordance with the School of Pharmacy and Faculty Senate Rules and Regulations.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Go to the top of the page top

Exemptions and Petitions

A student may gain an exemption from introductory prepharmacy courses by successfully completing the Advanced Placement or College Level Examination Program examinations or by other recognized means. Only the exemption is allowed. A total of 208 credit hours of college-level course work is still required for the Pharm.D. degree. Students who have completed high school physics with a grade of B or higher need not take college-level physics. In meritorious cases, the department offering a specific course may waive course prerequisites. Students whose educational goals would be better served by courses other than those prescribed in the normal curriculum may petition the academic standing committee for permission to make appropriate course substitutions.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class graduate with distinction. The upper third of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction. Grade-point averages are determined on the basis of credit hours taken while enrolled in the School of Pharmacy. The list is compiled each spring and includes July, December, and May graduates.

Go to the top of the page top

Health Insurance and Immunizations

The School of Pharmacy requires students to provide proof of health insurance and professional insurance coverage and immunizations for MMR, hepatitis B, varicella, and tetanus, and a current TB skin test.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.5 who have completed at least 14 hours (12 hours during externship) are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum Community College Credit Allowed

The School of Pharmacy allows a maximum of 68 credit hours from any accredited college or university toward completion of the Pharm.D. degree.

Go to the top of the page top

Prerequisites and Corequisites

In meritorious cases, course prerequisites may be waived by the department offering the course. Waiver is not granted if the prerequisite course was taken and failed.

Go to the top of the page top



A student who fails to attain a 2.25 grade-point average in all courses or in professional courses in any semester, or whose overall or professional course grade-point average falls below 2.25, is placed on probation.


Students are dismissed if

  1. They fail to attain a 2.25 grade-point average in all courses or in professional courses for any semester while on probation or
  2. They receive a grade of F in 40 percent or more of the courses taken during any semester.


Students dismissed for poor scholarship may file a written petition with the academic standing committee for reinstatement. The committee’s decision is final. The committee normally takes one of the following actions:

  1. The student is allowed to enroll, often with specific recommendations regarding strategies for restoring good academic standing.
  2. The committee may deny the petition.

Courses Taken Outside the School

Students on probation or in nondegree-student status may take courses outside the School of Pharmacy, or at other institutions, to improve the grade-point average. Prior approval is required, and in general, only courses that count toward graduation are honored.

Return to Good Standing

Students are returned to good standing when the overall pharmacy grade-point average reaches 2.25.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

Of the last 30 hours preceding graduation, 24 hours must be in residence at the KU School of Pharmacy.

Go to the top of the page top

Terminal-Year Courses

A student cannot enroll in the principal terminal-year pharmacy practice experiential rotations unless he or she has a grade-point average in professional courses of at least 2.25 and has completed all didactic course work required for the degree.


Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.