All schools & programs >

School of Nursing

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top

Academic Forgiveness

Academic forgiveness does not apply in the School of Nursing.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Admission is competitive and occurs once each year, in fall semester. Applications are due by October 15 of the year before beginning classes.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Go to the top of the page top


Courses in which grades of D and F are earned do not count toward graduation.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class may graduate with distinction. The upper third of those awarded distinction may graduate with highest distinction. The list is compiled each spring and includes July, December, and May graduates.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.5 who have completed at least 12 hours are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Honors Graduates

For students who complete the school’s honors program, designation of honors appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Independent Study Through KU Continuing Education

Students may complete up to 31 hours of Independent Study through KU Continuing Education, credit-by-examination, and/or extension courses.

Go to the top of the page top



Students whose grade-point averages fall below 2.0 for the semester are placed on probation. The associate dean of student affairs notifies the student by letter. It is the student’s responsibility to seek a conference with the student affairs adviser. The student and the student affairs adviser assess the situation jointly and make appropriate recommendations.

Return to Good Standing

A student remains on probation until completion of the next term in which the student is enrolled full time. (Full-time enrollment is 12 hours or more; full-time summer session enrollment is 6 hours or more.) To be removed from probation, a part-time student must maintain a 2.0 grade-point average in the next 12 semester hours of enrollment. Only courses required for the nursing major (junior/senior course work) apply toward the required grade-point average for removal from probation. If the student attains a grade-point average higher than 2.0 in the probationary semester, the student is removed from probation. No student may graduate with a nursing grade-point average lower than 2.0 or an overall grade-point average lower than 2.0.


If the student does not attain a grade-point average higher than 2.0 in the probationary semester, the student is dismissed for academic reasons. One nursing course may be repeated one time only if necessary to earn the minimum grade of C or S. Failure to achieve a minimum grade of C or S in two nursing courses or one repeated nursing course results in the student’s dismissal.

Go to the top of the page top

Repetition of Courses

For admission to the school, grades in all courses taken and retaken are included in the grade-point average. All grades are considered for calculation of honors and awards.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Only transfer grades of C or higher apply toward graduation at KU.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.