All schools & programs >

School of Social Welfare

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Applicants are reviewed for admission three times a year: February 1, October 1, and June 1. Additional information is available from the B.S.W. program office.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation. See the accompanying chart.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

An undergraduate may elect to be graded CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit) in one course each semester. This option is not available for any required social work courses. Complete the CR/NC form at the School of Social Welfare office during the third and fourth weeks of the semester or during the second week of the summer session. After the close of the option period, the student may not alter the decision. Instructors are not informed of this option and assign conventional grades, which the Office of the University Registrar converts to CR or NC grades. CR is given for A, B, or C work, and NC is used for D and F.

Go to the top of the page top


Courses offered by the School of Social Welfare are graded A, B, C, D, F, and in practicum Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory. Plus/minus grades are calculated in the overall grade-point average. S grades count as hours toward graduation but are not computed in the grade-point average. U grades do not count toward graduation. The translation of grades follows:

  • A—work of marked excellence indicating high honor
  • B—work of higher-than-average quality
  • C—work of average quality
  • D—work of the lowest quality that would allow a student to pursue the next dependent course
  • F—unsatisfactory work
  • I—incomplete work.

See the School of Social Welfare Catalog.

The Office of the University Registrar sends grade information to students each semester.

Minimum Grade Policy

No required social work course in which a student receives a grade below C– may be counted toward the major. A student must retake the course and earn a grade of C– or higher to fulfill the requirement for the major. Enrollment in SW 541, SW 612, and SW 621 is contingent upon the student earning a grade of C– or higher in SW 540, SW 610, and SW 620. Any student who receives a grade lower than a C– in a required social work course must attend an academic planning committee meeting to discuss plans for continuing in the major.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction

The top 10 percent of the graduates of the B.S.W. program each year receive degrees with distinction.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students in the upper 20 percent of the junior or senior class who completed at least 9 hours are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top


Students who achieve less than a 2.5 grade-point average or who receive a grade of U in field practicum are referred to the academic performance committee, which reviews the record and makes a recommendation to the dean. At the end of the probationary semester, the adviser and the academic performance committee evaluate students who fail to bring their grades up to the required standards. The adviser and the committee then make a recommendation to the dean about future enrollment.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

No baccalaureate degree is granted to a student who has not completed at least 30 semester credit hours of residence courses at KU. No exceptions are granted.

To earn a bachelor’s degree from KU, you must complete the last 30 hours of credit for the degree by resident study. You may petition the dean for a waiver.

The undergraduate director’s permission is required. Up to 6 hours of work taken at another institution may be accepted as part of the last 30 hours, if the hours are not in required social work courses.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Transfer of credit allows specific course work from other accredited colleges or universities to count toward the B.S.W. degree. Decisions to accept prior credits are made by KU’s transcript evaluator during the admission process. Exceptions must be petitioned through the B.S.W. director. Petitions must be accompanied by a catalog description and a syllabus of the course and submitted at the time of application. Community college equivalents to KU courses are available from the school or through community college counselors. A maximum of 64 credit hours from a community college may be transferred toward the B.S.W. degree.

Go to the top of the page top


A student who must withdraw from school should discuss the matter with the adviser and complete the appropriate procedures in the office of the School of Social Welfare.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.