All schools & programs > School of Social Welfare >

Master of Social Work

Visit their website » Print...

Credit for Course Work Taken Outside the School of Social Welfare

Clinical social work students who wish to substitute a course taken outside the School of Social Welfare for a clinical elective must petition the clinical committee before the beginning of the semester (for fall, August 1; for spring, December 15). Petitions must include the course syllabus, verification that the course is a graduate course, and a transcript upon completing the course showing a grade of B or higher. Requests submitted after the beginning of the semester will not be considered. Students who choose field placements that require particular course work are responsible for meeting the academic requirements of the school as well as the field agency. No more than 3 hours of course work taken outside the school will be accepted to meet the elective program requirement.

Social work administrative and advocacy practice students interested in taking a course offered outside the program must consult the chair of the social work administrative and advocacy practice committee.

Credit for continuing education institutes and workshops or programs conducted by nonaccredited or nondegree-granting organizations are not accepted.

Students who request transfer from other programs accredited by the Council of Social Work Education must go through the admission process and provide transcripts, a syllabus for each course for which credit is being requested, descriptions of field practicum content, written evaluations of field practicum performance, and the number of practicum clock hours.

Students who request transfer from nonaccredited programs are expected to test out of some required foundation courses. Applications for transfer must be received by January 15.

Go to the top of the page top

Testing Out of First-Year Courses

Students who believe they have already mastered the content of SW 720, SW 730 or SW 740 may attempt to test out of the course at a time designated by the school. Students are notified of examination dates. To test out, students take the equivalent of a final examination for the course. Up to 6 credit hours may be waived for testing out successfully. A student may attempt to test out of a course only once.

Go to the top of the page top

Intermit and Withdrawal

Students in good academic standing may apply to intermit (not take courses) after successfully completing at least one semester. Students may intermit for one year without the necessity of readmission. Application for intermit status must be submitted to the M.S.W. program director for approval and must include a statement of support from the student’s academic adviser. Students granted intermit status must verify in writing their intention to return by February 1 for the fall semester or by September 1 for spring semester.

Any student who is considering intermit status or withdrawal from the program must consult with his or her adviser. An exit statement must be submitted for the record, indicating the reason for intermit or withdrawal.

Go to the top of the page top

Changing from Full-Time to Part-Time Status

Full-time students who drop any class during the foundation year must also drop SW 701 Basic Field Practicum and SW 710/SW 711 Social Work Practice I and II. Students must apply for a change in program status to the M.S.W. program director, with a written recommendation from the academic adviser.

Go to the top of the page top


The basic system for M.S.W. courses is an A, B, C, F system, in which A represents exceptional performance, B represents graduate standards, C represents below graduate standards, and F represents failure, unsatisfactory work with no credit granted toward a degree. Plus/minus grades may be given and are calculated in the overall grade-point average.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.