All schools & programs >

School of the Arts (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences)

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top

Probation and Dismissal

Students may be dismissed at any time by the dean for excessive absences or for failure to make satisfactory progress in their studies. A student not on probation who fails to earn a grade-point average of at least 2.0 in any semester is placed on probation for the following semester. At the end of the semester in which the student has been on probation, he or she is removed from probation if the grade-point average for the semester is at least 2.0, with a minimum course load of 12 hours and a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0. A student whose course load is fewer than 12 hours or whose cumulative grade-point average is below 2.0 continues on probation even if the semester grade-point average is 2.0 or above. At the end of the semester in which the student has been on probation, he or she is dismissed for poor scholarship if the grade-point average for the semester is below 2.0. A student who has been dismissed for poor scholarship is not eligible to enroll again at any time, except with the special permission of the chair of the department. A reinstated student is placed on final probation. If the student fails to achieve a minimum grade-point average of 2.0 for the semester, he or she is dismissed, and readmission is not granted. Students who take courses at other institutions during the suspension may receive credit for such work only if it meets the approval of the department in which the student is doing major work.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

6 of the final 30 hours may be taken for nonresident credit, with advance permission. Nonresident credit may fill only elective requirements not in the major field of study.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

Only grades of C or higher are accepted as transfer credit toward degrees. Applicants with a lapse of 4 or more years since their last full-time enrollment may not expect studio credits in visual art to be accepted for transfer.

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.