All schools & programs >

School of Engineering

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top


A student with excessive absences may be withdrawn from the course by the dean.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Admission is competitive. Students must have minimum grade-point averages of 2.5 and proof of competency in calculus (grade of C or higher) or a minimum ACT math score of 22. Applications are reviewed throughout the year.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Credit/No Credit is allowed for courses used to fulfill English, humanities, social science, or oral communication requirements only.

Credit/No Credit is not an option for aerospace engineering students.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who fulfill the following requirements are eligible for graduation with distinction.

  1. Students must rank in the upper 10 percent of the graduating class by KU grade-point average.
  2. Students must have taken at least 64 hours in residence at KU.
  3. Students with transfer credit must also have overall grade-point averages, including transfer credit, that fall into the upper 10 percent of the class.

The upper third of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction. The list is compiled each spring and includes July, December, and May graduates.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.75 who have completed at least 14 hours are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Honors Graduates

For students who complete the school’s or department’s honors program, designation of honors appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum and Minimum Semester Enrollment

The normal course load is 15 hours a semester. A student may not enroll in more than 19 credit hours during any semester or more than 12 credit hours during the summer session except with approval of the major adviser and the dean.

Go to the top of the page top

Prerequisites and Corequisites

Students may be administratively dropped from courses for which they do not meet prerequisites.

Go to the top of the page top


Good Academic Standing

Undergraduates must maintain both semester and cumulative grade-point averages of 2.0 or higher to remain in good standing. Students’ academic standings are reviewed after each semester.


If a student’s semester or cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.0, the student is placed on probation. The student will return to good standing if

  1. The following semester cumulative and engineering grade-point average is 2.0 or higher,
  2. The cumulative grade-point average is 2.0 or higher, and
  3. All other requirements described in the probation letter are met.

Students also may be placed on probation for failing to make progress toward an engineering degree or failing to be continuously enrolled in Applied English Center or English courses until all AEC and the ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 requirements are met.


A student on probation is dismissed if any of the following occur:

  1. Any semester grade-point average is below 2.0 while the student is on probation.
  2. The cumulative grade-point average is below 2.0 after two semesters on probation.
  3. The student has failed to meet the other requirements stated in the probation letter.
  4. The student on probation has failed to make progress toward an engineering degree or toward fulfilling all AEC and the ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 requirements.


A student who has been dismissed for poor scholarship may submit a written petition for reinstatement to the associate dean. Forms are available in the dean’s office, 1 Eaton Hall. A student does not automatically become eligible to re-enroll after a certain period of time. A student who is reinstated on probation must meet stringent academic requirements to be returned to good standing.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

Students must be enrolled in the school for the last 30 hours of credit.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

The School of Engineering does not routinely accept credits from foreign institutions or from vocational-technical programs in the United States. Before such courses may be added to a student’s official KU record as transfer credits, they must be validated

  1. By examination by the department or school offering the course on the KU campus,
  2. By earning a grade of C or higher in a later course in the sequence of courses, or
  3. By earning a grade of C or higher in a related course.

Credits for English composition at a foreign institution of higher education are not accepted for the required English courses in any engineering curriculum.

Credits from courses completed at the secondary level, whether from U.S. or from foreign schools, are not added to a student’s official record unless the student obtains college credits through one of three examination programs:

  1. The College Entrance Examination Board’s Advanced Placement test,
  2. KU’s own credit by examination program, or
  3. The College Level Examination Program.

A course from another college or university may apply toward the Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree as transfer or nonresident credit only if the grade received is at least C.

Transfer credit in engineering science and engineering design from institutions accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology and from institutions with which KU has approved articulation agreements may be applied toward the degree as appropriate in the particular engineering curriculum. Transfer credit in engineering from other institutions must be evaluated and validated on a case-by-case basis.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.