All schools & programs >

William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top


The school reserves the right to cancel the enrollment of any student who fails to attend the first class or laboratory meeting. Instructors may require a certain level of attendance for passing a course and may drop a student for lack of attendance without the student’s consent.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Admission is competitive and occurs twice a year. Applications are due February 1 for fall and summer and September 1 for spring admission. 90 percent of available openings are filled by applicants with the highest cumulative grade-point averages. The remaining 10 percent are selected from among applicants who petition by the deadline, provided they have overall grade-point averages of at least 2.5.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Journalism courses or admission requirements in English or courses in another school’s major or minor may not be taken for Credit/No Credit.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class graduate with distinction. The upper third of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction. In addition to a student’s academic record, other factors may be considered.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.75 who have completed at least 12 hours with letter grades are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. Credit/No Credit grades are not accepted. S grades are accepted. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum and Minimum Semester Enrollment

The normal enrollment is 15 to 16 hours a semester. A 12-hour enrollment is considered a minimum full-time enrollment. Enrollment in more than 18 hours a semester, or more than 9 hours during the summer session, requires special permission from the coordinator of undergraduate advising.

Go to the top of the page top

Nonresidence Study Before the Last 30 Hours

Before the last 30 hours required for the degree, students may, under certain conditions, take courses at other institutions and transfer the credit to KU. Before enrolling in a nonresidence course, check on how your courses will transfer to KU or complete KU’s standard form, Request for Tentative Evaluation of Transfer Credit, in your dean’s office or in College Student Academic Services for students in the College. After completing the course work, you must request that an official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions, KU Visitor Center, 1502 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66044-7576, 785-864-3911. For transcripts to be official, they must be mailed from the college or university directly to KU. Faxed transcripts are not accepted for posting of transfer credit.

Nonresidence credit includes all credits from another college or university taken after initial enrollment at KU, military service courses, and other undergraduate course work not formally offered in the Schedule of Classes.

Majors must submit the Request for Tentative Evaluation of Transfer Credit form before they enroll.

Go to the top of the page top

Prerequisites and Corequisites

Course prerequisites are strictly enforced. Students are administratively dropped from courses for which they do not meet prerequisites. Waiver is not granted if the prerequisite course was taken and failed or taken and not completed.

Go to the top of the page top


Students admitted to the school must do the following in order to remain in the school in good standing:

  • Complete JOUR 101 Media and Society with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
  • Maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade-point average and a 2.5 journalism grade-point average.
  • Complete ENGL 101 (or exemption) and ENGL 102 or ENGL 105 (or exemption or advanced placement) and one of the following courses—ENGL 203, ENGL 205, ENGL 209, ENGL 210, or ENGL 211—with a grade-point average of 2.5 or higher. (Students can complete these courses after they are admitted.)
  • Complete the first- and second-year requirements listed on the School of Journalism and Mass Communications Admission page by the beginning of junior year (fifth semester, not including summer sessions).

Students failing to meet the conditions above are placed on probation for 1 semester. If a student does not raise his or her cumulative and journalism grade-point averages to 2.5 or complete the first- and second-year requirements, she or he is dropped from the school.

Go to the top of the page top

Repetition of Courses

For admission to the school, all grades in all courses taken and retaken are included in calculating a student’s grade-point average. For graduation and to determine good academic standing, the journalism grade-point average is calculated by including all grades in all journalism courses.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

No baccalaureate degree is granted to a student who has not completed at least 30 semester credit hours of residence courses at KU. No exceptions are granted.

To earn a bachelor’s degree from KU, you must complete the last 30 hours of credit for the degree by resident study. You may petition the dean for a waiver.

Students must have the permission of the coordinator of undergraduate advising. Up to 6 hours of work done at another institution may be accepted as part of the last 30 hours, if the hours are not in required courses. If a student completes more than 6 of the last 30 hours at another college, he or she must complete additional KU course work to graduate.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

A maximum of 12 hours of journalism course work taken at other institutions may count toward a degree. Other journalism courses do appear on the transcript, but the hours are treated as excess, and an equal number of hours is added to the 124 required for graduation. A student must complete at least 18 hours of journalism at KU. Courses with grades of D are not accepted for transfer credit.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.