All schools & programs >

School of Business

Visit their website » Print...

University Regulations

For information about university regulations, see Regulations or visit the University of Kansas Policy Library.

Go to the top of the page top

Business Honor Code

Students taking any business course must sign a pledge of academic honesty at the end of all examinations. Upon application to the school, each student must electronically sign an honor code form, available from the School of Business.

Go to the top of the page top

Change of School

To change from one school to another, you must submit a Change of School form in the dean’s office of the school you plan to enter. Follow the deadlines on the form.

Admission is competitive. Applications are due February 15 for fall or summer admission and September 15 for spring admission.

Go to the top of the page top

Credit/No Credit

A Credit/No Credit option is available to all degree-seeking undergraduates. You may enroll in one course a semester under the option, if the course is not in your major or minor. To exercise the option, you must fill out a card at the dean’s office of the school in which you are enrolled during the fifth and sixth weeks of the semester (or the third week of summer session and 8-week courses). See the Schedule of Classes for current dates for electing this option. After the close of the option period, the choice cannot be changed. Under the option, a grade of Credit is recorded for grades of A, B, or C; No Credit is recorded for grades of D or F. Courses graded Credit or No Credit do not count in computing the grade-point average. Courses graded Credit are included in the total hours counted toward graduation. Courses graded No Credit do not count toward graduation.

Warning: Certain undesirable consequences may result from exercising the option. Some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of No Credit to F when computing grade-point averages.

Credit/No Credit is allowed for electives only. Required professional (business and economics) courses, required English courses, and PSYC 104 may not be taken for Credit/No Credit.

Go to the top of the page top

Graduation with Distinction and Highest Distinction

Students whose KU professional grade-point averages rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class graduate with distinction. The upper 3 percent of those awarded distinction graduate with highest distinction.

Go to the top of the page top

Honor Roll

Students with grade-point averages of 3.5 who have completed at least 12 hours with letter grades are recognized on the honor roll or dean’s list in fall and spring. An Honor Roll notation appears on the transcript.

Go to the top of the page top


The letters W and I may be given. The letter I indicates incomplete work that may be completed without re-enrollment in the course. The letter W indicates withdrawal for which no credit or grade point is assigned.

The letter I should not be used when a definite grade can be assigned for the work done. It is not given for any course except to indicate that some part of the work has, for reasons beyond the student’s control, not been done, while the rest has been satisfactorily completed. At the time an I is reported on the electronic roster, the character and amount of work needed, as well as the date required for completion and lapse grade if further work is not completed by this date, should be indicated.

A student who has an I posted for a course must make up the work by the date determined by the instructor, in consultation with the student, which may not exceed 1 calendar year, or the last day of the term of graduation, whichever comes first. An I not removed according to this rule is automatically converted to a grade of F or U, or the lapse grade assigned by the course instructor, and appears on the student’s record.

Extensions to the time limit may be granted by the dean’s representative upon submission of a petition from the student containing the endorsement of the course instructor who assigned the I grade, or the department chair if the instructor is unavailable. After the I grade is converted to a grade of F or U, the grade may only be changed in accordance with USRR Article II, Section 3.

Go to the top of the page top

Maximum and Minimum Semester Enrollment

No student may enroll for more than 20 hours a semester, or more than 9 hours in a summer session without permission from an undergraduate adviser.

Go to the top of the page top

Nonresidence Study Before the Last 30 Hours

Before the last 30 hours required for the degree, students may, under certain conditions, take courses at other institutions and transfer the credit to KU. Before enrolling in a nonresidence course, check on how your courses will transfer to KU or complete KU’s standard form, Request for Tentative Evaluation of Transfer Credit, in your dean’s office or in College Student Academic Services for students in the College. After completing the course work, you must request that an official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions, KU Visitor Center, 1502 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66044-7576, 785-864-3911. For transcripts to be official, they must be mailed from the college or university directly to KU. Faxed transcripts are not accepted for posting of transfer credit.

Nonresidence credit includes all credits from another college or university taken after initial enrollment at KU, military service courses, and other undergraduate course work not formally offered in the Schedule of Classes.

Majors must submit the Request for Tentative Evaluation of Transfer Credit form before they enroll.

Go to the top of the page top

Prerequisites and Corequisites

The student is responsible for checking course prerequisites before enrollment. Course rosters are checked before the start of each semester and again after the last day to add classes online. Students who are enrolled in a course without its prerequisites are administratively dropped without notice during the first 4 weeks of the semester.

Go to the top of the page top


Placed on Probation

A student whose cumulative grade-point average, either overall or at KU (in all courses or professional courses), is lower than 2.2 is placed on probation for the following semester.

Continued on Probation

A student on probation is continued on probation for one more semester if the KU semester grade-point average is at least 2.2, but the cumulative grade-point average, either overall or at KU (in all courses or professional courses), is lower than 2.2.

Returned to Good Standing

A student on probation is returned to good standing if the cumulative grade-point average, both overall and at KU (in all courses and professional courses), is at least 2.2.


A student on probation is dismissed for failure to earn a KU grade-point average of at least 2.2 (in all courses and professional courses) in the next semester of enrollment, or if after two consecutive semesters on probation, the cumulative grade-point average, either overall or at KU (in all courses and professional courses), is not at least 2.2. Students are readmitted through the competitive admission process. Those students are dropped from all courses for the next semester and must complete a Change of School form.

Go to the top of the page top

Required Work in Residence

No baccalaureate degree is granted to a student who has not completed at least 30 semester credit hours of residence courses at KU. No exceptions are granted.

To earn a bachelor’s degree from KU, you must complete the last 30 hours of credit for the degree by resident study. You may petition the dean for a waiver.

After admission to the school, written advance permission of the director of undergraduate programs is required for work taken at another institution to be applied to a student’s degree. Nonresident credits may fill only elective requirements. They may not be used for courses specifically required for graduation.

Go to the top of the page top

Transfer of Credit

CredTran is a transfer course equivalency system that lists more than 2,200 colleges and universities from which KU has accepted transfer courses in the past. If your school or course is not listed, your evaluation will be completed when you are admitted to KU.

Courses completed at other institutions are accepted to fulfill graduation requirements (e.g., in place of specifically prescribed courses), only if they are substantially equivalent as indicated by course description, hours of credit, and prerequisites. For professional courses not listed on CredTran, the student must submit a petition along with a course syllabus to the School of Business. Petition forms are available from Student and Academic Services, 206 Summerfield Hall.

Go to the top of the page top

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.