All schools & programs > School of Architecture, Design and Planning > Department of Architecture >

Master of Arts in Architecture: Academic-Research Track

Visit their website » Print...

Master of Arts in Architecture
(Academic-Research Track)

The post-professional M.A. in Architecture offers 2 distinct programs. The research-based academic program is offered on the Lawrence campus. It is for the student who is interested in exploring various approaches in analyzing the built environment. A student with an undergraduate degree in architecture or a related discipline may enter this course of study. To receive the master’s degree, each student must complete an academic or design-related project or must take a comprehensive examination at the end of the plan of study.

This program is for the student who is interested in the study of architecture from an academic and scholarly perspective. A student who wishes to pursue graduate study in architecture at KU must submit a statement of intent detailing academic interests and career goals. Because admission depends on the student’s objectives and the faculty’s matching research interests, potential applicants should contact the coordinator before submitting applications.

Students from this program have established a strong academic tradition and won honors in national research competitions. The key to their success has been the careful selection of research topics and the ways these topics have paralleled the academic and professional interests of the architecture faculty.

For students admitted to the academic/research program at the master’s level in architecture in Lawrence, a total of 36 credit hours of course work is required. Each student must enroll in a 3-hour course dealing with research methods and theory and must complete an additional 12-hour core of course work that addresses each of the 4 areas:

  1. History/Theory,
  2. Technology/Practice,
  3. Design/Methods, and
  4. Urban/Social Issues.

In addition to the core courses, each student must complete a minimum of 15 graduate credit hours in a sequence of courses in 1 of the 4 concentrations. A minimum of 6 of these hours must be taken in one of the established concentrations. With the consent of the student’s adviser and the approval of the graduate studies committee, the student may take a maximum of 12 hours of graduate credit in course work outside the School of Architecture, Design and Planning. 6 hours in the 36-hour course of study are composed of course work in which the student prepares a written project or thesis, or in additional course work in the student’s concentration to prepare for a final written examination.

Following is a selected list of recently offered courses in each of the 4 concentrations. Students should consult the most current course listing of the architecture department to determine which courses will be offered each semester.


  • Architectural History
  • Theory and Context of Architecture
  • Introduction to Landscape Architecture
  • American Landscapes
  • History of Urban Design


  • Building Mechanical and Energy Systems
  • Construction and Project Management
  • Electro-Acoustics
  • Visualizing Airflow


  • Computer Applications
  • Building Information Modeling
  • Portfolio Development
  • GIS Applications
  • Architectural Photography
  • Advanced Architectural Presentation Techniques

Urban/Social Issues

  • Homeplaces
  • Reading the American City
  • Architecture of Health
  • The Making of Place in an Aging Society

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.