2011-2012 Academic Catalog
School of LawVisit their website » Print...
The law faculty is composed of honor graduates from law schools throughout the country. Virtually all have substantial experience in private or public interest practice. Many served as judicial clerks — 2 as clerks to Supreme Court justices.
Law faculty members are committed to excellence in the classroom and to mentoring law students. Students are encouraged to consult their professors regularly about their progress in the study of law as well as about career plans, job opportunities, and the professional responsibilities of lawyers. Law faculty offices are located throughout Green Hall, and doors are open to students.
Faculty members enrich their teaching by researching and writing about the areas of law they teach. They regularly participate in conferences and symposia, publish widely in legal journals, and enjoy national and international recognition for the quality of their work. Many have written important treatises and casebooks used at law schools around the country.
- Raj Bhala. Rice Distinguished Professor. A.B., Duke, 1984; M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1985; M.Sc., Oxford, 1986; J.D., Harvard, 1989. Marshall Scholar, 1984-86. International Trade Law, Islamic Law, Public International Law.
- Charles A. Briscoe. Clinical Associate Professor. B.S., Kansas State, 1969; M.A., J.D., Kansas, 1971, 1975. Legal Aid Clinic,
- Elizabeth Seale Cateforis. Clinical Associate Professor. B.A., Smith, 1985; J.D., Kansas, 1994. Capital Punishment, Project
for Innocence and Post-Conviction Remedies.
- Shelley Hickman Clark. Clinical Associate Professor. B.A., J.D., Kansas, 1971, 1976. Historic Preservation, Legal Aid Clinic.
- Derrick Darby. Associate Professor of Philosophy (affiliated). B.A., Colgate, 1988; M.A., Ph.D., Pittsburgh, 1990, 1996.
Philosophy of Law.
- Michael J. Davis. Centennial Teaching Professor of Law. B.A., Kansas State, 1964; J.D., Michigan, 1967. Land Development, Lawyering, Property.
- Phillip E. DeLaTorre. Professor of Law. B.A., Kansas, 1975;
J.D., Harvard, 1978. Estates and Trusts; Patent, Copyright,
and Trademark Law; Property.
- Martin B. Dickinson. Robert A. Schroeder Distinguished
Professor of Law. B.A., Kansas, 1960; M.A., Stanford, 1961;
J.D., Michigan, 1964. Estate Planning, Taxation.
- Christopher R. Drahozal. Associate Dean, Research and Faculty Development, and John M. Rounds Distinguished Professor
of Law. B.A., Washington, 1983; J.D., Iowa, 1986. Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Law, Contracts.
- Jelani F. Exum. Associate Professor of Law. A.B., J.D., Harvard, 2001, 2004. Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Race and the Law.
- Judge Robert W. Fairchild. Visiting Professor from the Judiciary. B.A., Texas Tech, 1970; J.D., Kansas, 1973. Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Webster L. Golden. Visiting Professor from Practice. B.A., Kansas, 1966; J.D., Virginia, 1969. Business Planning.
- David J. Gottlieb. Professor of Law. B.A., Oberlin, 1969; J.D., Georgetown, 1974. Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure,
Immigration/Asylum Law Clinic, International Human Rights, Professional Responsibility.
- Emily Grant. Lecturer in Law. B.A., Baker, 1997; J.D., Illinois, 2000. Lawyering.
- John W. Head. Robert W. Wagstaff Distinguished Professor
of Law. B.A., Missouri, 1975; B.A. Juris, Oxford, 1977; J.D.,
Virginia, 1979. Comparative Law, International Commerce
and Investment, Public International Law.
- Edwin W. Hecker Jr. Professor of Law. B.A., Oakland, 1966; J.D., Wayne State, 1969; LL.M., Harvard, 1970. Business Associations, Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Laura J. Hines. Professor of Law. A.B., Brown, 1987; J.D.,
Michigan, 1991. Civil Procedure, Complex Litigation.
- Virginia Harper Ho. Associate Professor of Law. B.A., M.A.,
Indiana, 1995, 1997; J.D., Harvard, 2001. Chinese Law,
Corporate Governance, Corporate Law.
- Michael H. Hoeflich. John H. and John M. Kane Distinguished Professor of Law. B.A., M.A., Haverford, 1973; M.A. (by Grace), Ph.D., Cambridge, 1976, 2001; J.D., Yale, 1979. Contracts, Copyright, Law and the Arts, Legal History, Professional Responsibility.
- M.A. Kautsch. Professor of Law. B.A., J.D., Iowa, 1968, 1971. Media Law, Media Law Clinic, Torts.
- Pamela V. Keller. Clinical Associate Professor. B.A., Pennsylvania, 1990; J.D., Kansas, 1993. Judicial Clerkship Clinic, Lawyering, Moot Court.
- Stacy L. Leeds. Interim Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, and Professor of Law. B.A., Washington Univ., 1994; J.D., Tulsa, 1997; LL.M., Wisconsin, 2000. Federal Indian Law, Native American Natural Resources, Property, Tribal Law and Process.
- Elizabeth A. Leonard. Professor of Law. B.A., Columbia, 1993; J.D., Georgia, 1999. Health Law and Policy, Public Benefits Law, Torts.
- Richard E. Levy. J.B. Smith Distinguished Professor of Law. B.A., M.A., Kansas, 1978, 1980; J.D., Chicago, 1984.
Administrative Law, Introduction to Constitutional Law.
- Fred B. Lovitch. Professor of Law. B.S., LL.B., Pennsylvania, 1962, 1965. Business Associations, Securities Regulation.
- Stephen W. Mazza. Interim Dean and Professor of Law. B.S., Samford, 1989; J.D., Alabama, 1992; LL.M., NYU, 1993.
Tax Policy, Tax Procedure, Taxation.
- Stephen R. McAllister. Professor of Law. B.A., J.D., Kansas, 1985, 1988. Constitutional Litigation, Introduction to
Constitutional Law, Torts.
- Joyce A. McCray Pearson. Associate Professor of Law and Director, Law Library. B.A., Wichita State, 1980; J.D., Washburn, 1989; M.L., Washington, 1990. Advanced Legal Research, Law and Literature.
- Sandra Craig McKenzie. Professor of Law and Director, Elder Law LL.M. Program. B.A., J.D., New Mexico, 1971, 1974.
Alternative Dispute Resolution, Local Government, Property.
- Lumen N. Mulligan. Professor of Law. B.A., Kansas, 1995; M.A., Colorado, 1999; J.D., Michigan, 2002. Civil Procedure, Civil Rights Litigation, Federal Courts, Federal Jurisdiction.
- John C. Peck. Connell Teaching Professor in Kansas Law. B.S., Kansas State, 1968; J.D., Kansas, 1974. Contracts, Family Law, Land Transactions, Water Law.
- Jean Phillips. Clinical Associate Professor. B.A., Augustana, 1987; J.D., Kansas, 1990. Criminal Procedure, Project for
Innocence and Post-Conviction Remedies.
- Dennis D. Prater. Connell Teaching Professor in Kansas Law. B.A., J.D., Kansas, 1969, 1973. Advanced Litigation, Evidence.
- Joyce Rosenberg. Lecturer in Law. B.A., Boston Univ., 1992; J.D., Kansas, 1996. Lawyering.
- Elinor P. Schroeder. Paul. E. Wilson Distinguished Professor
of Law. B.A., J.D., Michigan, 1968, 1974. Disability Law,
Employment Discrimination Law, Employment Law, Labor Law.
- Jan Sheldon. Courtesy Professor of Law. B.A., M.A./Ph.D., J.D., Kansas, 1970, 1974, 1977. Alternative Dispute Resolution,
- Elizabeth Brand Six. Director of Academic Resources, Lecturer in Law. B.A., Indiana, 1989; J.D., Stanford, 1992. Lawyering.
- Thomas G. Stacy. Professor of Law. B.A., J.D., Michigan, 1980, 1983. Conflict of Laws, Criminal Law, First Amendment,
Introduction to Constitutional Law, Jurisprudence.
- Ellen E. Sward. Professor of Law. B.A., Cincinnati, 1970; J.D., Harvard, 1979. Civil Procedure, Federal Courts.
- Andrew W. Torrance. Associate Professor of Law. B.Sc., Queen’s Univ. (Ontario), 1991; A.M., Ph.D., J.D., Harvard, 1994, 1997, 2000. Biodiversity Law, Intellectual Property, Patent Law.
- H. Rutherford Turnbull. Courtesy Professor of Law and Co-Director, Beach Center on Disability. B.A., Johns Hopkins, 1959; LL.B./J.D., Maryland, 1964; LL.M., Harvard, 1969. Disability Law.
- Suzanne Valdez. Clinical Associate Professor. B.S., Nevada
(Las Vegas), 1991; J.D., Kansas, 1996. Criminal Prosecution Clinic, Externship Clinic, Practice in Kansas, Pretrial Advocacy.
- Stephen J. Ware. Professor of Law. B.A., Pennsylvania, 1987; J.D., Chicago, 1990. Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bankruptcy, Commercial Law, Contracts.
- William E. Westerbeke. Professor of Law. B.A., Bowdoin, 1964; M.A., Middlebury, 1968; J.D., Stanford, 1970. Products Liability, Torts, Workers’ Compensation.
- Melanie Wilson. Associate Professor of Law. B.A., J.D., Georgia, 1987, 1990. Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence.
For more information about law faculty members, go to the Faculty section of the law school’s website.
Emeritus Faculty Members
- Robert C. Casad. John H. and John M. Kane Distinguished
Professor Emeritus of Law. B.A., M.A., Kansas, 1950, 1952; J.D., Michigan, 1957; S.J.D., Harvard, 1979.
- George C. Coggins. Frank Edwards Tyler Distinguished
Professor Emeritus of Law. B.A., Central Michigan, 1963; J.D., Michigan, 1966. Energy and Natural Resources Law,
Environmental Law, Oil and Gas Law, Public Land Law.
- Francis H. Heller. Roy A. Roberts Distinguished Professor
Emeritus of Law. M.A., J.D., Ph.D., Virginia, 1941, 1941, 1948.
- Keith G. Meyer. E.S. and Tom W. Hampton Distinguished
Professor Emeritus of Law. B.A., Cornell College, 1964; J.D., Iowa, 1967. Agriculture Law, Commercial Law.
Wheat Law Library
Named for alumnus Douglas D. Wheat, KU Law class of 1974, and his wife, Laura, the law library occupies a central place in Green Hall and in the lives of law students. With its collection of more than 350,000 volumes, the library is an important legal research facility throughout the region. It supports the teaching program of the law school; its hallmark is excellent service to students and faculty. Law library faculty members teach in the lawyering program, serve as individual liaisons to lawyering small sections, and offer courses in advanced legal research
and advanced legal research special topics. In addition to preparing subject research guides, they provide research
assistance in person, by telephone, and by e-mail. They are available and accessible to students.
Students find a rich collection of print and specialized electronic legal resources in the law library. It provides study space for individual students, work areas for group projects, and a designated quiet floor. The wireless network allows students to access the Internet; numerous legal databases, including Westlaw, Lexis, Hein Online, CALI, and Making of Modern Law; and specialized electronic resources. Students have access to the KU Libraries’ 4.3-million-volume collection and extensive interdisciplinary resources on and off campus.
For more information on library services and access to online legal research materials, see the Wheat Law Library section of the law school’s website.
Library Faculty Members
- Katherine Greene. Automation and Acquisitions Librarian. B.A., Kansas, 1989; M.L.S., Emporia State, 2004.
- Joyce A. McCray Pearson. Associate Professor of Law and
Director, Law Library. B.M.E., Wichita State, 1980; J.D.,
Washburn, 1989; M.L., Washington, 1990.
- Christopher L. Steadham. Interim Associate Director, Law Library; Faculty Services and Research Librarian. B.A., J.D., Kansas, 2001, 2004; M.L.I.M., Emporia State, 2007.
- Tammy J. Steinle. Information Technology and Digital Librarian. B.A., Fort Hays State, 1991; M.P.A., J.D., Missouri, 2004; M.A., Missouri, 2006.
- Pamela M. Tull. Head of Public Services. B.S., M.L.S., Emporia State, 1975, 1994.
- Lauren Van Waarduizen. Catalog Librarian. B.S., Iowa State, 2001; M.A., Iowa, 2004.
- W. Blake Wilson. Instructional and Research Services Librarian, B.A., Missouri (Kansas City), 2000; M.A., J.D., Missouri, 2004.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.