All schools & programs > College of Liberal Arts and Sciences > Department of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies >

Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of General Studies in Women's Studies

Visit their website » Print...

Departmental Honors

Candidates must declare an intention to work for departmental honors to the honors coordinator, Charlene Muehlenhard, no later than enrollment for the first semester of the senior year. Return the intent form to College Student Academic Services.

At the end of the final undergraduate semester, the candidate must have an overall grade-point average of at least 3.25 and of at least 3.5 in the major (i.e., the 30 hours of course work applied toward the major). Both overall and major grade-point averages include work done at other institutions as well as at KU. Each candidate must complete an independent research project, or its equivalent, related to women’s studies.

  1. The candidate must enroll in WGSS 499 Honors in Women’s Studies or in Independent Study in women’s studies or another department for 2 semesters, 3 hours a semester, and earn a grade of B or higher in the first semester and a grade of A in the second semester.
  2. The candidate should inform the honors coordinator of her or his intention to earn departmental honors.
  3. The results of the candidate’s project must be presented in written form, or in another form appropriate to the project, to a panel of at least 3 members of the College faculty, at least 1 of whom must be a member of the women, gender, and sexuality studies advisory board. This panel must certify the successful completion of the honors project.
  4. If the candidate is earning a double major and is attempting to earn departmental honors in 2 different departments, 1 research project may be used to satisfy the requirements of both departments if the candidate obtains approval from both. Both departments must be represented on the student’s committee.

The department may petition to award graduation with departmental honors to deserving students who, for good reason, do not meet every requirement. Petitions should be sent to the College committee on undergraduate studies and advising. When the candidate finishes all the requirements for departmental honors, the honors coordinator notifies College Student Academic Services in writing.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.