All schools & programs > School of Social Welfare >

Master of Social Work

Visit their website » Print...

School Social Work

The Kansas Department of Education no longer certifies school social workers. However, the School of Social Welfare strongly recommends that students interested in practicing in a school setting take the following:

  • A practicum experience at the advanced level in a public school setting under the direct supervision of a school social worker.
  • Clinical social work concentration.
  • SW 830 Social Work in Child and Family Settings.
  • SW 834 Social Work in Schools as 1 clinical elective.
  • SPED 725 is highly recommended as an elective choice for students planning a future in school social work.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.