All schools & programs > School of Engineering > Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering >

Master of Science in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering

Visit their website » Print...

Graduate Admission

Admission is by approval of the department’s Graduate Faculty on recommendation by the graduate standards committee. Admission is based on demonstrated potential to complete a graduate degree successfully. The measures of performance used in the decision process are undergraduate and graduate grade-point averages, research performance, letters of recommendation, and Graduate Record Examination scores. A student who has not received a degree from a university in an English-based nation also must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language or International English Language Testing System and is expected to meet general KU requirements.

Admitted students with baccalaureate degrees in chemical or petroleum engineering usually are able to enroll in the graduate core courses listed below. Students with degrees in other branches of engineering or in mathematics, chemistry, physics, or other sciences usually must take some undergraduate course work to provide the necessary background for the graduate courses.

Submit your graduate application online. Send all other requested application materials to the department:

The University of Kansas
Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering
Learned Hall
1530 W. 15th St., Room 4132
Lawrence, KS 66045-7618

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.