Undergraduate Advising Information - FAQ
Who do I contact if I have questions about Communication Studies requirements or applying to the major?
You should contact an Advising Specialist. They can be reached for an appointment at 785-864-3500.
How do I apply to the major in Communication Studies?
Students must apply to the major. You can read more information about applying to the major at: http://www2.ku.edu/~coms/undergrad/major/apply/
When Should I apply for graduation?
Students should apply for graduation the semester before they plan to graduate. For example, a student anticipating a Spring 2013 graduation date should file the proper paperwork during Fall 2012.
What are the steps I need to take in order to apply for graduation?
- Enroll in your classes for your last semester at KU!
- AFTER you are enrolled in classes for your final semester, contact the departmental Advising Specialist at 785-864-3500, to schedule an appointment.
- During the appointment, you will receive the necessary paperwork to apply for graduation (called the Major Certification Sheet).
- Take the Major Certification Sheet, along with an attached ARTS form, to a Communication Studies faculty member for a signature.
- Turn in all paperwork to 109 Strong Hall.
- Log on to Enroll&Pay and Apply for Graduation!
How do I read my ARTS form?
Help understanding your ARTS form can be found online at: http://www.collegesas.ku.edu/students/current%20understanding%20your%20arts%20form.pdf
What classes fulfill general education requirements?
A helpful listing to learn more about general education requirements can be found at: http://www.ku.edu/~clasus/advising/Handbook/Requirements/gened.shtml
What areas can I get a Minor in?
Any of the Departments with a blue “X” indicating they offer a minor:http://www.collegesas.ku.edu/advising/majorsandminors.shtml
Minors are also available in the School of Business: http://www.business.ku.edu/undergrad/minor/declare/
How do I know if my class from “University ABC” will transfer?
KU has a comprehensive website listing all courses that have been transferred from a particular school. If your course is not listed, you should contact admissions directly.
Other Links for Student Success:
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Advising System Overview –http://www.ku.edu/~clasus/advising/Handbook/index.shtml