If you are involved with or observe a hazardous material (biological, chemical, radiological, fuel or oil)
spill, incident or release for which assistance is needed:
- If the incident is indoors, close all doors to isolate the area if it is safe to do so.
- From a safe area, call 911.
- Be prepared to provide the following information regarding the spill or release:
- Name of the material
- Quantity of material
- Time of the incident
- Location of the incident
- If anyone is injured or exposed to material
- If a fire or explosion is involved
- Your name, phone number and location
- Follow instructions provided by the emergency responders.
- Arrange for someone to meet the emergency responders.
- Evacuate, if necessary. Remain in a safe designated area until released by emergency responders.
- Present the Material Safety Data Sheet of involved substances to emergency responders if this information
Do not attempt to clean up a spill or release unless you are trained to do so and have the proper
If you are notified of a hazardous materials incident, follow the instructions provided by the emergency
- Clear the area immediately if instructed to do so by the emergency providers, providing assistance to those
with special needs.
- When evacuating, move crosswind, never directly with or against the wind.
- Take roll call of your unit and report headcounts to your unit head.
If you observe what you think is an unauthorized release of any pollutants to the environment, call
the Public Safety Office immediately at 864-5900.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.